Covering Dummy Cake With Fondant

Decorating By tucan Updated 14 May 2014 , 5:13pm by SweetDelights1

LJsCakeToppers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJsCakeToppers Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 1:37am
post #31 of 34

Hi Im new to Cake Central, I have a very large 7 Tier cake to do the base cake is 1 meter square and the top 6 tiers are of dummy cakes but my question would be how to best cover the dummy cakes, (they are not of normal size see picture). The base cake has a foam 20in dummy cake in the centrer the cakes will be around this. I was thinking if covering the dummy cakes with the black cake board vinyl (food safe) (all tiers are in black fondant, Hollywood theme) then using piping gel for the fondant to help stick, will this work? The dummy cakes range from 25cm high to the top one which is 15cm thick 10 inch square. I didnt want to cover them with buttercream.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  And thank you in advance.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1385225_554422321279319_1092582889_n.jpg

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 6:56am
post #32 of 34

APiping gel will work. You could also smear a thin coat of shortening on the styrofoam that will make the fondant stick

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 1:19am
post #33 of 34

ANot sure what "cake board vinyl that's food safe" is.....if it's black Contact paper, it IS NOT food safe ....

But, you can just rub the dummies with shortening and cover them with black fondant. Works great.

SweetDelights1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDelights1 Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:13pm
post #34 of 34

I to have been having issues with the sides of my round dummy.  I rolled out the fondant twice to a 1/8 almost 1/4 and when putting the fondant on the dummy right away the fondant was cracking.... what is up with that.  I applied pipping gel on the dummy.  It turned out pretty nice after playing around with it but I can I make sure it does not happen again?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%