Not Too Sweet Filling For Orange (Colored) Cake

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm by mbt4955

mbt4955 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 6

I am doing a burnt orange and white wedding cake and want a filling that isn't too sweet. I am using raspberry filling for the white tiers, but really want an orange colored filling that won't contrast with the burnt orange tiers. I am looking at the sleeved fillings, but I haven't ever used them so I don't know how sweet they are. I'm thinking about trying apricot. Any thoughts/suggestions?

This is an out of town wedding and I will be frosting and decorating in my hotel suite, so I will be somewhat limited in what I have to work with.

Thanks so much,
Martha

5 replies
Ballymena Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:11am
post #2 of 6

Peach or apricot pie filling would work.

sayhellojana Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:06am
post #3 of 6

I just made an orange curd from a recipe in an old Pillsbury book. It's sure that you can make it ahead of time and store it in an airtight container without problems. I can post the recipe if you'd like it.

mbt4955 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 6

Ballymena, I am thinking about apricot, but I'm afraid peach might be too sweet. I found an apricot sleeve filling - have you ever used them?

sayhellojana, I would love to have your orange curd recipe. I have made orange, lemon and lime using the Cake Mix Doctor recipe and orange curd has come to mind. I have thought about possibly doing orange/lime just to get a little more "tart" in there. What do you think about that? I guess I would have to just try it and see ...

Thanks!

sayhellojana Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 6

Sunny Orange Filling (From an Old Pillsbury Cake Bake Off book)

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup water
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine

In medium sauce pan, combine sugar with cornstarch, salt and orange peel. Gradually blend in orange juice, water, and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat. Add butter, mix well. Cool.

I was very, very happy with this filling. I've only made it once but it's very straightforward.

mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for sharing this recipe! It looks a lot like the lime curd recipe that I have used (with different citrus options), but I'll certainly make a batch and see how it looks with the cake I know that I would like the taste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%