Sanding Royal Icing On Dummy

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm by acookieobsession

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 10

So I "heard" you could ice a dummy with royal icing then sand it down to the smooth finish you want. So I have dummies drying now...but dummy that I am I have no idea how to sand them.

My dh has a mouse sander would that work? The pads are red but the wall never turns red so maybe the royal won't?

I did spread some on cake circle for sanding experitmenting....smart of me i thunk!

Julia

9 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #2 of 10

I put a thin coat of royal icing on as smooth as possible. Let it dry completely and sand the rough spots with a very fine sandpaper, course will leave marks. Good thing you did a test for practice.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 10

Whoops, I forgot. It needs to be sanded by hand.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:53am
post #4 of 10

I would use 120 grit and sand by hand.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:56am
post #5 of 10

ok, maybe finer than that. I'm so closed minded down here...that's about the finest we get here. The higher the number the finer (smoother) it is.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #6 of 10

I sand by hand and use very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper.

acookieobsession Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for your help.

On the wet/dry sand paper that was mentioned...is that a particular style of sandpaper?

I got the royal as smooth as possible (but not like I like the buttercream)...but I have to say it was not very thin....why thin? Is that easier to smooth? Or sand?

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 10

Wet/dry sandpaper can be used either wet or dry. I will dip it in water and sand any rough spots - and when the royal dries it's a perfect finish. It has to be the finest grit though - can't recall the number at the moment, but you should be able to find it at a hardware store. It's really so fine, that you can't feel the "grit" at all.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

The RI does not have to be thinicon_smile.gif The thinking is that thinner is easier to smooth &/or sand.....but many, many coats need to be used but it must dry *competely* before the next coat is added.
I have made many a RI dummy cake. I have used a small hand-held electric sander.

acookieobsession Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 10

Oh, thanks Kakeladi...my dummy is huge I was not looking forward to doing it by hand. I think I will by both the fine mouse sander pad and the hand held wet dry pad....

I have made a real cke with royal using the many thin layers thing...but I thought that had something to do with the end taste result...I never sanded the real cake! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the wet/dry sander paper info...def going to try that.

Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%