Sanding Royal Icing On Dummy

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm by acookieobsession

acookieobsession Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 10

So I "heard" you could ice a dummy with royal icing then sand it down to the smooth finish you want. So I have dummies drying now...but dummy that I am I have no idea how to sand them.

My dh has a mouse sander would that work? The pads are red but the wall never turns red so maybe the royal won't?

I did spread some on cake circle for sanding experitmenting....smart of me i thunk!

Julia

9 replies
Ballymena Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #2 of 10

I put a thin coat of royal icing on as smooth as possible. Let it dry completely and sand the rough spots with a very fine sandpaper, course will leave marks. Good thing you did a test for practice.

Ballymena Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 10

Whoops, I forgot. It needs to be sanded by hand.

seagoat Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:53am
post #4 of 10

I would use 120 grit and sand by hand.

seagoat Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:56am
post #5 of 10

ok, maybe finer than that. I'm so closed minded down here...that's about the finest we get here. The higher the number the finer (smoother) it is.

OhMyGanache Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #6 of 10

I sand by hand and use very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper.

acookieobsession Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for your help.

On the wet/dry sand paper that was mentioned...is that a particular style of sandpaper?

I got the royal as smooth as possible (but not like I like the buttercream)...but I have to say it was not very thin....why thin? Is that easier to smooth? Or sand?

OhMyGanache Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 10

Wet/dry sandpaper can be used either wet or dry. I will dip it in water and sand any rough spots - and when the royal dries it's a perfect finish. It has to be the finest grit though - can't recall the number at the moment, but you should be able to find it at a hardware store. It's really so fine, that you can't feel the "grit" at all.

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

The RI does not have to be thinicon_smile.gif The thinking is that thinner is easier to smooth &/or sand.....but many, many coats need to be used but it must dry *competely* before the next coat is added.
I have made many a RI dummy cake. I have used a small hand-held electric sander.

acookieobsession Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 10

Oh, thanks Kakeladi...my dummy is huge I was not looking forward to doing it by hand. I think I will by both the fine mouse sander pad and the hand held wet dry pad....

I have made a real cke with royal using the many thin layers thing...but I thought that had something to do with the end taste result...I never sanded the real cake! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the wet/dry sander paper info...def going to try that.

Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%