Really Irritated

Decorating By traciek Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm by veronicarueda77

traciek Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:43am
post #1 of 24

I never post anything in here.. but I am so upset or am i just taking it the wrong way... Someone comment on a pic of mine and said "i had a spark of talent"... how dare they!.. Id rather you say nothing at all coz in my opinion thats just rude! or am i just overreacting to that comment?... I even turned off the comment option.. grrrrr icon_mad.gificon_smile.gif

23 replies
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 24

Um, saying that you have a spark of talent is a compliment. In other words, your talent is very bright.

traciek Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #3 of 24

see im taking it the other way ... like i have a lil bit of talent.. lol

CeeTee Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Um, saying that you have a spark of talent is a compliment. In other words, your talent is very bright.

What she said.

I'm guessing this isn't a common colloquialism in your area?

JodieF Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 24

All those lovely comments you've gotten and you're worried about that one? Take a breath and focus on all the positive!

Jodie

cakesdivine Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 24

I thought the same as the OP. Down here in the south saying someone has a spark of something means you have a little of that but also does imply potential.

I looked at the OP's cakes and I would have to say she has WAY MORE than a spark of talent, She has a whole kit & kaboodle of talent!

I am sure however that it was just a misunderstanding.

7yyrt Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #7 of 24

If it really bothers you, just send a PM and ask a moderator to remove the remark.

cata29 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #8 of 24

i just looked at all your cakes and i think u have a lot of talent. your cakes r great, don't let a comment like that get u irritated! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

brandywinecakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 24

I agree with you, TracieK. I would have taken it the same way. I even asked my husband and he said that he would have as well. I looked at your photos and you are EXTREMELY talented. I do, however, think that it is a misunderstanding. I'm sure that the commenter wasn't trying to be rude. It seems that it's meant to be a compliment in some areas.

summernoelle Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:38am
post #10 of 24

You're being very sensitive. If you don't like comments, disable them.

There are people who get actual nasty comments on them (ugly, nothing special, etc) but this wasn't meant that way.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #11 of 24

Well I've lived and worked in Chicago now I'm down South here for over 20 years. So I've got the North and South covered so to speak--but there's lots of other places.

'Spark of talent' to me is what you tell a kid who just got a squirt of sound to come out of his tuba or trombone for the first time. I hear hope, I hear a spark of talent. Blow on it again and see what we can get.

The poster might not have meant that. But that's what spark of talent means. A little bit, a beginning or an ending. They might not have meant to be patronizing but they were.

A spark is a fiery particle. Fiery, good. Particle, small.

I don't think they meant it to be hurtful, just came out kinda awkward.

veejaytx Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #12 of 24

Can anyone spell JEALOUS? The comment sounds like jealous, bitter grapes to me.

A Spark? You have a whole fireworks show!

cakes22 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #13 of 24

You have more than a spark, your an inferno!!! Great cakes!!!! Don't let one comment out of a how many get you down!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 24

I live in the Northeast and I'd also interpret that as the OP did. Like someone means "there's hope for you yet".

Unless this person repeatedly antagonizes you............they probably meant it as a complement. Maybe where they come from (Mars) it is used as a complement. I don't know, I'll take a poll for you today at work and let you know how the majority would interpret that.

BTW..........I absolutely LOVE the cat cake in your pictures! It's just adorable, I'd love one for my b-day. You're work is beautiful and in my opinion you have a hell of a lot more then a "spark" of talent......you have phenomenal talent.

Please don't keep the comment feature disabled.....your cakes deserve to be commented on. There are members from all over the world here and everyone speaks differently, I'm sure there was no harm meant.

Hell, I received a PM once that said "you will send me the recipe for (blank) now" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif At first I was taken aback, but then I realized that something was lost in translation and I sent the recipe anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 24

I think you took it the wrong way. I just took a look at your cakes too and they are great! I especially love Ruth and Katie's cakes. I would have left comments to that effect but I couldn't! you definitely need to enable the comments feature again, it had to be a misunderstanding, just keep an eye out for the person, if they continue to leave ambiguous comments then I might worry they have something out for you.

Like Dkelly said, it could be worse: you send me recipe now! HYSTERICAL! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 24

I'd have taken it the same way, like you can make it if you try a little harder...But the person writing it might not have meant it like that, as the previous posts say. It might be a regional thing.

But do some people really put things like "that cake is ugly" or "nothing special" on their comments? Dang! I don't have time to look at pictures on here very often, but that's rude!

brandywinecakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 24

What happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say...then don't say anything at all!" That's just plain rude!

Edited: I'd like to clarify that I'm referring to the "that's an ugly cake" or "nothing special" comments. Not comment that was made to the OP.

Carolynlovescake Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #18 of 24

People remember we have many people from around the world who do not use English as their main language.

The person could very easily be from out of the USA and their comment was lost in translation.

I once had someone PM me in Spanish (?? Thinking I spoke it, I dunno.). Thankfully we have someone living with us who is fluent in Spanish and when he traslated it into English he said "this is what it says but in English this is how they meant it".

I know of a couple people here who use a "their language" to English conversion program from the internet to leave cake comments and every now and then I'll get a PM from them asking if it sounds right. Let me tell you, that conversion program some times pulls a whopper of a translation.

Let's not be quick to judge because we don't know who left it, if they are English as a first language, or come from a part of the USA where that is used as a compliment.

I was raised with that comment in our family being given as a compliment and it means "it's a burst of inspiration".

okred Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm
post #19 of 24

Oh, I just love your fat cat cake! It is so cute. Makes me glad this person left the comment, which lead to you starting this thread, which lead to me getting to view your wonderful cakes. So something good has come out of it! ((HUGS))

Shelle_75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:37pm
post #20 of 24

I wouldn't take it personally. Like CarolynGwen said, it could be someone whose first language is not English, and who really liked your decorating.

Then again, it could be a riot inducing troll who is watching this with glee right now! icon_evil.gif

Just kidding!

Gefion Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #21 of 24

Why don't you just PM the person? It's not like we have the ability to tell you whether it was an insult or a compliment.

Ayanami Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm
post #22 of 24

Fat Cat rocks! icon_lol.gif

I currently own & have owned in the past some very obese cats, so this cake just says it all for me! Added it to my favs!

I think your "spark" occured right next to a barrell of gunpowder maybe?! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif LUV LUV LUV your cakes.

thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

Why don't you just PM the person? It's not like we have the ability to tell you whether it was an insult or a compliment.

Amen!!

Or, better yet - just ignore it and move on. In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter THAT MUCH to you what one person wrote? If you make great cakes, who cares about a random ambiguous comment?

I have never understood why people get so freaking riled over comments (or a lack thereof) on their cakes! icon_rolleyes.gif

veronicarueda77 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #24 of 24

I agree with CarolynGwen

Sometimes this translations sites really missed what we are trying to convey when we try to translate into other languages. I speak spanish and to me sounds like it was a straight translation for

Brillante Talento

Sparkle of Talent

Which really means Brilliant Talent.

Hope this is what the poster meant to say.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%