Quick Question About Tier Sizes!

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm by jessi01

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 8

Hello! I am making a three tier stacked wedding cake this weekend and the plan was to do a 14-10-6 like I always do... forgetting that I have only done those sizes when doing round cakes and this is to be square.

here is the problem.. I went to get my pans out and I don't have a 14in square!!! so Can I do a 16-12-6? or would that look weird? should I just bump up the 6in to an 8in?

any help would be wonderful!!!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 8

Yeah that's kinda weird.

A 12 x 9 x 6 square would be comparable servings and would look good.

You could easily cut these sizes out of bigger cake too.
Splice them together even.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:50am
post #3 of 8

I've got to agree that that would look weird too.

Also you will have a lot of servings with a cake this size, I think what k8memphis suggested is a good way to go.

BTW, you could always stack the pans upside down and see what you think would work well.

Good luck!

jessi01 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 8

thanks, I think I am going to just cut down my 16in to a 14 and go with the 14-10-6... I was worried about doing that because I thought it might make the cake less stable.. but it is a banana cake so It is already a dense cake, It should do ok I think icon_confused.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 8

I agree that cutting the 16 down to 14 is your best bet.

You needn't worry about stability. High volume bakers routinely bake giant sheet cakes and cut the shapes and sizes they need.

Also, many bakers trim the outside edges off their cakes as a matter of course, to eliminate the dark line that appears between the icing and the cake.

If your banana cake is crumbly, a quick trip to the freezer before crumb coating will prevent problems.

jessi01 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks! I have the cake in the oven now. this recipe is not crumbly at all when cut.. but I always wrap and put all my cakes in the freezer for at least an hour or two before crumb coating.. I think it makes them more moist thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 8

It gets you out of a jam on this one so it is a good way to go.

it does give them about 30 more servings than the comparable sizes in rounds. Plus the 20 more for the pan adjustment. 50 total--kind of a lot. So investing in more pans before too long is a good idea too.

You're gonna have a bumper crop in cake truffles.

jessi01 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 8

I know! I plan on picking up that pan size the next time I go to the supply store.. it's just that I was there on Monday!! and I never thought about it.. I honestly thought I had that size! And the store is about a 45 min drive from here so I try and get what I need for the next few cakes when I go.. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh well, live and learn... thanks for all the help and advice! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%