How Do You Make A Gift Box Top

Decorating By live2create Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 6:03am by poochynooch

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 4

I need some help ! I am going to make a present cake and would like to also make the top of the box. I haven't got it all figured out ! Do you form the fondant over a top of a box lid. Some look so crisp and clean lined. I really want that effect. I looked on You Tub for something but I couldn't find anything unless I am looking in the wrong place.
Also, for the tissue in the box this is just fondant right if so is it dried before placing the lid on the box. Any suggestion would be very appcriecated . Or is there some place on CC with the directions and I am missing it. Thanks for the help

3 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:28am
post #2 of 4

Mine was very far from perfect -- but I put one layer of cake on a board - covered with fondant - and propped it up with a dowel a bit. I've gotten much better with fondant, and think if I did it again I would be pleased with it. I don't know how others do it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1239061

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:02am
post #3 of 4

I did the exact same thing. one layer of cake on cake board cover w/ fondant and prop with dowels. For the tissue paper since you have the dowels you dont need to worrie about the fondant. The pic. i have of my box cake was my first one, even though I am far from great or perfect it was actually not that hard. You will do great!

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:03am
post #4 of 4

I myself have recently made this same type of cake - see pic attached. My lid was styrofoam that I cut to the same size as the cake and covered it in fondant - had a few "issues" with this process but learned alot. I used wooden scewers at the back of the lid to prop it up and stabilize it in the cake. Re tissue -- made mine out of gumpaste a couple of days prior to assembling the cake in order to let dry completely. The lid sat mostly on the tissue.

Having difficulties in getting pic to attach - needs to be downsized -- check the cake out in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%