How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By rachel143438 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm by rachel143438

rachel143438 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel143438 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys, I am a newbie to cakecentral and so far i'm loving it!
On with my question, my husbands boss wants me to make a carrot cake (never made one before) and he would like to pay me for it but I don't know how much to charge.
1) Im a little nervous because again I have never made a carrot cake
2) Im wondering if I should even charge because I haven't made one before
3) It's my husbands boss, so should I charge less?
I'm just going to make 2 8' round cakes and fill them with cream cheese frosting and then do a basic decoration with the cream cheese frosting (unless anyone has any idea's about fillings or frostings)
Thank you in advance for the help

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 4

Let's get things straight from the beginning. Yes charge for it! I don't care if it's for your sister, cousin, or boss.......make this a business right from the start.
Do you usually bake from scratch or box mixes? Which ever, stick to what you know.
Personally for a carrot cake I would start w/a Betty Crocker spice mix and add 1 cup grated fresh carrots - nuts if you want (pecans or walnuts, chop fine). I use pineapple preserves for filling and ice w/buttercream.
As for how much......what size is the cake? Anything that uses one cake mix should sell for about $30-40.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC!

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is pretty pricy to make - if you're unsure about charging, maybe ask him to cover the cost of ingredients only. However, if it were me and this was my first 'paid' cake, I wouldn't want it to be something I'd never made before... search for a well-tested highly rated recipe (I like allrecipes.com, or check out the recipes section on this site).

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

rachel143438 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel143438 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 4

kakeladi- Thank you icon_smile.gif your right I should start this as a business right away or they might take advantage of me later. I usually just do box mixes, but I have done a few cakes from scratch as well. As for the size, I was just thinking about doing 2 rounds of 8inch and stacking them.

Tubbscookies- I was thinking the same thing. I was acutally thinking about making a practice cake and having my friends and family try it. I found a recipe here that is from scratch and it seems pretty simple.

Thank you both for the thoughts and advice icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%