Wedding Cake

Decorating By Maris307 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm by cylstrial

Maris307 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 6

Hello. I'm making my first wedding cake by myself to feed about 200 people. It's for my sister in law's wedding in early April.

I have a few questions.

1. How long before the reception shouldI set up the cake?

2. If I use bavarian cream for a filling, can the cake sit out or would it need to be refrigerated?

3. If I make a band of fondant to go around the cakes and fondant flowers for decorations; how far in advance can I make these?

I'm putting a lot of stress on myself with this cake. It's for a lot of people many of which were at my own wedding. Also, it's 4 hours away. Any hints for planning would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you for your consideration.

5 replies
terrylee Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Maris307....first welcome to CC.....you will find this site so full of information and quite addicting ..

1. I like to have the cake set up and be out of there before any quests arrive at the reception. I have set them up, up to 2 hrs before the reception starts.

2. The cake can be refrigerated before you leave but it should hold up just fine at the reception. The filling is sealed, should be fine.

3. I do all my final touches at the reception site. flowers will hold fine.

I travel with the cakes apart and assemble on site. Just plan extra time for traveling, you never know about traffic and problems. I did a cake in Oakland Ca about 1 hr away, and thank goodness I allowed myself extra time....I got lost.

Take a map or GPS if you have it if you are unfamilar with the site. I have been doing cake for several years and I still get stressed out. Welcome to the club...

Good luck, post picturers. and don't be afraid to ask questions.

lilthorner Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

1. How long before the reception should I set up the cake?

That varies based on location, what type of cake/filling and the temp etc.. I usually ask what is the earliest I can drop it off, some paces only allow and hour before..

2. If I use bavarian cream for a filling, can the cake sit out or would it need to be refrigerated?

A true bavarian needs to be in the fridge, with that said, You could most likely keep it out for a few hours (as in on display, not overnight at home) some make a quick bavarian with whipping cream and pudding which could conceivably be left out

3. If I make a band of fondant to go around the cakes and fondant flowers for decorations; how far in advance can I make these?

the fondant band should be made when you are decorating the cake, you want it flexible enough to go around without cracking. Flowers should be made of gumpaste or a modelling clay type thing and could probably be made tomorrow LOL as long as you have a place to store them and they not get broken

I'm putting a lot of stress on myself with this cake. It's for a lot of people many of which were at my own wedding. Also, it's 4 hours away. Any hints for planning would be greatly appreciated too.

bethola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

I set my cakes up no later than the MORNING of the wedding. That way, I can always find SOMEONE associated with the Bride (i.e. mom, sister, or bride herself) to initial the contract and give final approval before things get crazy!

Beth in KY

Maris307 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you terrylee, lilthorner, and bethola for your encouraging words and great advice!

I'll be sure to get more information my my SIL on the venue's delivery time window.

I will be using a true bavarian cream, so I'll be sure to keep the cakes refrigerated until delivery.

I was thinking of making the cake bands the day before, but I will now make them the morning of.

RE: flowers -- I was planning to start practicing them today. Now I know that if they're good ones, I'll keep them. What's the difference in using gumpaste? How do you store the flowers? (other than in an airtight container)

We will be driving the cake from Reno, NV to the Bay Area, CA. DH and the kids are in the wedding. The wedding is on Saturday. I don't want to make the cake too far in advance. When is the earliest you would drive down? What would be a good timeline for baking/decorating?

Again, thank you so much for your input. I really value your advice.
LL

cylstrial Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 6

That cake is gorgeous!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%