Calling All Choc. Wrapper People

Decorating By SUUMEME Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 12:23am by -K8memphis

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 13

Where do you buy your acetate to wrap a cake in chocolate??

12 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 13

I get mine from the local cake shop. But country kitchen has it too, just type in acetate in the search on their website www.countrykitchensa.com

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 13

I buy mine in long rolls from www.dickblick.com. Strange name I know!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 13

I saw a while back that some people had bought it on the web at
http://www.countrykitchensa.com. However, I would like to know if you can get it in a store...

SUUMEME Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 13

thanks Sweetflowers, I looked at their site and all I see are sheets, not rolls of it to wrap around the whole cake. Maybe these sheets are long enough, I didn't see how long they were.

Anyone buy acetate in rolls?

SUUMEME Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 13

Misterc, what thickness do you recommend? Thanks for the site info- yes odd name indeed.
BTW I have friends and family spread all over UT.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 13

Well, I couldn't get any around here & was wanting to do it for my dh's bday. I ended up using freezer paper & it worked really well. So, for those of you who can't get it or can't get it in time, freezer paper works.

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 13

I have the same problem in North Carolina. Neither Michael's nor AC Moore carried acetate. Somebody suggested I try an office supply store. But I ended up just using parchment paper instead and it worked.

SUUMEME Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 13

I will admit I got impatient too and I just picked up some vynal from Joann's today. You know the kind that you can cover furniture with. I hope it will still give me the shine I want and that it doesn't poison me. Good to know that freezer paper and parchment work, do you still get the shine with those?

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 13

No, parchment doesn't give you the same shine that acetate will. But it gets the job done.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 13

Freezer paper will give the shine, I haven't tried parchment paper. You can get the acetate in rolls in an art supply store (dick blick is an art supply), you'll have to look it up in the phone book. However, I just tape my acetate sheets together to get the length I need. Thickness I think was .05, but .03 worked too.

SUUMEME Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 13

thanks for your help!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #13 of 13

Michael's & Hobby Lobby carry it in their art department--look for rolls of clear acetate. That's where I get mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%