How Do I Get Edges Crisp? Not Rounded.

Decorating By kccinderella Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 12:42am by tomatoqeen

kccinderella Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 4

I apologize if this may have been addressed before. I have searched the website and am unable to find the topic. Once I apply the fondant, the edges of the cake become rounded. What am I doing wrong? I've leveled the cakes and teh crumb coat has a sharp edge. I've tried rolling the fondant thinner, thicker, in between... Nothing seems to make a difference.

I haven't tried using the "dam" method before filling. I typically use SMBC and have chilled it completely before applying. I chill the cake after apply the BC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 replies
chanielisalevy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant will weigh down the cake causing a rounded edge. What I do, but would loved to hear what everyone else does, is the following: When I need a crisp edge, like on a box top or a shopping bag edge, for example, is VERY LIGHTLY go around the edges I nees to make crisp with my thumb a forefinger, and in essence pinch very lightly while smoothing it out with my fingers' ends to make sure there are no dents. It works beautifully and I don;t have to worry so much about the crispness of the edges of the cake at the crumb coat stage since I will crisp it up after the fondant application. Hope that made sense. Goos luck.

Toptier Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, I have had this issue too. I really think that it is b/c the smbc eventually softens as the fondant is weighing on the edge of the cake. If I want really crisp edges I use ganache underneath fondant instead of SMBC and roll my fondant 1/8" thick. Check out Planet Cake's website for more info, they use ganache under all of their fondant cakes and all of their edges are so crisp and clean - amazing!

tomatoqeen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:42am
post #4 of 4

I've seen fondant edgers online. Has anyone tried those? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%