Another "what To Charge " Question

Business By cakelady31 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm by cakelady31

cakelady31 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all you smart, talented cc'rs !

I was hoping somebody here could help me figure out what to charge for a dummy cake. I recently did a bridal show and have been asked if I could rent my display cake. I have never done this although I have heard of it before, but I really have no idea what to charge for such a rental. It's actually the one on the front page of my website.

Thanks for any info or guidance , I figure maybe someboday has done the same.

Carol

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

think about what it would cost you to remake it, in time and ingredients.
also how its getting too and from the location. and what times?
is there other cake being served - people will assume its from the cake they saw. thats maybe 'fine' if its a great tasting cake, but if it tastes rubbish, and ur name is linked with it, not so good!
as for the price... since it will probably still need delivery/ collection (u control the contact), and u dont want to be absolutely screwed if someone does really damage it, i wouldnt go too cheap!
xx

indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 5

It takes the same amount of icing to ice a dummy as it does a real cake.
It takes the same amount of time to ice a dummy as it does a real cake.
It takes the same amount of space in the delivery van as it does a real cake.
It takes the same amount of gas in that van to deliver a dummy as it does a real cake.

Even if they take the one out of your window with no work by you at all (no work for THEIR event ... you already did the work!), you also have to factor how it might be returned. Will you have to fix it or scrape it off and make another one? Either way, it's work involved.

enoid Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 5

Your cake is beautiful. I agree same amount of time, gas etc.

cakelady31 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for the rapid replies.!!!

I think this potential customer stated that something else would be dessert and not cake, but I will have to find out and make sure it's not another cake. Thanks for pointing that out. Although I would be making the cake cutting ceremony cake for them. That one is easy beans to figure out.

Geez, icon_cry.gif The hardest part is determining your self worth !!!! icon_cry.gif

Again Thanks bunches
you guys are the best.!
Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%