Can You Restore Moisture To A Cake?

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm by KeltoKel

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 5

I made a cake in the Wilton 3D cupcake pan. When I brought them out of the oven and leveled the tops, the center of the one side was not done! The other side was fine.

So, I put the undone side back in the oven for 9 more min. but with the top leveled off, I am afraid that entire side will be dry now. The top of it was dry. Do you think the rest of the cake is dry now?

I quick wrapped it in saran wrap and foil while still warm, and threw it in the freezer. I have no idea if freezing it will help anything?

Any advice? Thanks so much!

4 replies
Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

I had this problem and was able to rectify the driest cake EVER with sugar syrup - just boil up equal quantities of granulated sugar and water for about a minute and then allow to cool and brush over the whole cake. also use plenty of buttercream or whatever filling your using.

I actually got to eat the cake im talking about, it was for a retirement at my work and it was absolutly gorgeous, really moist and lovely and everyone commented on how moist it was.

you can flavour your sugar syrup with vanilla, lemon, etc . it really works great, i soak most of my cakes now just to add extra moisture.

KeltoKel Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 5

Wow Cathy, that is very helpful, thanks! Never used sugar syrup.

Can I ask a few more questions -

Just to be clear, if I boil a 1/4 c of water with a 1/4 c. of sugar, I can make sugar syrup? Just add some flavoring?

Will this help to add moisture to the inside of the cake as well?? I wasn't going to add a filling, but maybe I will cut the cake in half and add some buttercream. Awesome idea!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 5

.......Just to be clear, if I boil a 1/4 c of water with a 1/4 c. of sugar, I can make sugar syrup? Just add some flavoring? .........

You got iticon_smile.gif
Yes it will moisten the whole cake. And......if you have time put the cake in the fzr -*well wrapped* in cling wrap or a plastic bag.
Even if it is for a few hours - overnight is better - it will help spread the moisture that is in the cake.

KeltoKel Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 5

You're awesome! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%