Bettercreme Frosting/cool Whip

Decorating By debra15 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm by prterrell

debra15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debra15 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 8

HAS ANYONE DONE A WEDDING CAKE IN BETTERCREME/COOL WHIP FROSTING?HAVE A WEDDING CAKE IN JULY AND THE BRIDE ASKED ABOUT THIS FROSTING AS SHE SAYS REGULAR FROSTING IS TOO SWEET TO HER.HOW WOULD YOU DO THE DECORATING FOR BORDERS.SHE WANTS EATIBLE SEA SHELLS ON IT.

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 8

No need to shout, we can hear you just fine! icon_wink.gif

What does the bride mean by "regular" buttercream? The powdered sugar-shortening "buttercream"? SMBC/IMBC?

I'm betting if she ever got the chance to taste a meringue-based buttercream, her opinion would change.

I've never used Bettercreme and I don't use Cool Whip (Cool Whip is whipped oil, how gross is that!).

If she really wants a whipped cream, then I would use actual whipped cream. Stabilize it with Oetker brand Whip-It and it will hold up fine (not outside or in direct sunlight, though, no cake can handle that in the middle of the summer!). For borders, whip the cream in a food processor instead of a mixer. Less air will be incorporated, making for a thicker, denser cream that can be piped. Just be careful not to over-whip it, or it will become butter!

For the edible sea shells, I suggest getting molds and making them with white chocolate. You can dust them with luster dust and they'll be really sparkly.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 8

I can virtually guarantee that fresh cream will not hold up in the summer. I do wedding cakes with Richs whipped topping-tastes and looks exactly like whipped cream. Stablalized and perfect for decorating. Ofcourse, for a summer affair, the cake will have to be indoors, but atleast you will be able to work on it and deliver it without it disintergrating. Good luck!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 8

Rich's Bettercreme is usually shelf stable for 5 days, while Cool Whip requires constant refrigeration (except when being served).

Rich's Bettercreme handling instructions:
(For ready-to-use, but applies to liquid after whipping.)

http://tinyurl.com/yt4eyu

HTH

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 8

Just a note-Bettercream(Pink box) is a buttercream alternative. Richs whipped topping(Blue box) on the other hand is what replicates cool whip or whipped cream.

debra15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debra15 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the information! the Wedding will be indoors.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 8

Complete line-up of Rich's Toppings, Icings, Fillings and Finishers:
(With photos of products and complete product descriptions.)

http://www.richs.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

BTW, the non-dairy icing/filling made by Rich's is BETTERCREME (not bettercream).

...and Dawn sells a totally different product called But-R-Creme....

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

I can virtually guarantee that fresh cream will not hold up in the summer.

I live in GA and I've never had a problem with whipped cream stabilized with Oetker Whip It not holding up. I've even travelled over an hour from where we live to a family reunion in AL and not had any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%