How To Travel With A Styrofoam Cake

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm by indydebi

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there!

I'm going to my first cake competition in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure how to travel with a styrofoam cake.

Should I put it all together and push a dowel rod through all the layers?
Or should I travel with each tier in it's own box and then put it together when I get there?

Any thoughts, tips, tricks would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Celeste

7 replies
alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 8

I traveled about an hour with a styrofoam cake. It was constructed and all I had was a dowel through the middle of it! It did fine and was still perfect went I arrived at my destination!

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 8

I traveled about an hour with a styrofoam cake. It was constructed and all I had was a dowel through the middle of it! It did fine and was still perfect went I arrived at my destination!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 8

I don't see a need to dowel. Just put a smear of bc or RI or superglue...whatever you have...between the tiers and go.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 8

Hec the last competition i went to traveled 8 hours and just had the stryo cake stacked with royal between them. If that royal is dry that "cake" isn't going any where.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 8

I just use icing between too. DH and I worked at a festival in Oct and when we packed up our table we just put the sun-faded display cakes in the bed of our pickup. Those puppies didn't go anywhere. I drove about 60 mph on the way home and they made it in one piece. Can you picture it? icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 8

LOL Jammjenks!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the info! I'm going about 6 hours away... so if you all can do it, then so can I!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 8

I just use regular BC between the tiers ... no dowel. I pick my dummies up by the top tier ... and the bottom 3 or 4 tiers come right along with it! icon_lol.gif Mine have logged extensive travel miles to bridal shows, school demos, etc., and they hold up just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%