Blasted Sticks!!!

Baking By lhayes1976 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm by toleshed

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 13

We sell mainly cookie bouquets and to be honest the sticks are so frustrating. We have very limited space and it's so difficult working around all these sticks. Does anyone NOT do sticks and if so, is there another neat way to package cookies besides bouquets or individual wrapping?

12 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 13

lhayes, how about putting sticks on the bag instead of inside the cookie? That's what I do. Or you can package cookies in bags without sticks, or in containers with clear lids.

lhayes1976 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 13

Shiney--How do you put sticks on the bags?

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 13

I hotglue the stick to the back of the bag, then put a piece of packing tape over that, and I have never had one come off. And I put some pretty big cookies in there. I just can't be bothered to deal with that stick when decorating. When you put the cookie in, tie the ribbon so the cookie stays at the top, does that make sense?

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 13

I don't like baking the cookies with the sticks either not only cuz they don't taste good on sticks, but also because i can get more cookies on the baking sheets.
I just wrap the cookies and attach the sticks with packing tape.

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 13

Hmm. I'll have to try that sometime. I never thought of attaching the stick to the bag.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 13

I do like to have the actual cookie on a stick because I think people, kids in particular, really enjoy the stick!

My Dh was intrigued when I showed him the cookie stick drill from Cookies By Design (see other thread!) and I could see the cogs turning... Maybe I'll get one of those in my new cookie kitchen! (**hopes**)

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 13

I use the Wilton lollipop sticks and out of frustration one day I realized I could twist out the sticks after I had baked them in the cookie. I now cut pieces of lollipop sticks and bake them in the cookies leaving enough of the stick poking out to grab later. Then while they are still slightly warm I twist them out CAREFULLY and let them continue to cool. This leaves a nice hole for later. The cookies take up less room baking and I can decorate them easier. I save the lollipop stick pieces to use again. I freeze them in a baggie if I'm not going to use them right away. Throw them out when they get worn. I dip new sticks into corn syrup or RI and carefully twist them into the decorated cookie. Don't know if this will work with skewers as they are not always identical in width.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:26am
post #9 of 13

kimsmom - that is such a great idea!!!! Genius!! My only concern is that the stick hole would shrink as the cookie cooled but you say it doesn't. Wow...I'm going to try this next time. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!!

lhayes1976 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:52am
post #10 of 13

kimsmom--how soon after you reinsert stick are they ready to package?

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976

kimsmom--how soon after you reinsert stick are they ready to package?

I package them into bags as soon as all the sticks are in. I use the no fail cookie recipe, and they don't shrink. I've broken too many decorated cookies trying to do detail work with the stick in. I want to point out again that I've only done this with the Wilton lollipop sticks, so don't know if this will work with others, or even a different recipe. Also I leave them on a cooling rack and scoot them to the edge so I can grab the stick without lifting the cookie preventing breakage. Don't try to take the sticks out too early as they cookies will break or the hole will weaken. After a while you just get the feel for it. I sure hope this works for everyone else.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmom

I use the Wilton lollipop sticks and out of frustration one day I realized I could twist out the sticks after I had baked them in the cookie. I now cut pieces of lollipop sticks and bake them in the cookies leaving enough of the stick poking out to grab later. Then while they are still slightly warm I twist them out CAREFULLY and let them continue to cool. This leaves a nice hole for later. The cookies take up less room baking and I can decorate them easier. I save the lollipop stick pieces to use again. I freeze them in a baggie if I'm not going to use them right away. Throw them out when they get worn. I dip new sticks into corn syrup or RI and carefully twist them into the decorated cookie. Don't know if this will work with skewers as they are not always identical in width.

Wow! What a great idea!! I'd never thought of that but have had to re-attach MANY b4! So this will certainly come in handy!!
I personally like the sticks attached too - I think it also makes it easier for decorating them - without having to be too careful when ya pick them up to move them!
Also - just wanted to add - that when your baking them on the stick and your stick is too long for your cookie sheet (the one with rims) then just flip your sheet over, lay on your silpat or parchment and then your sticks can hang right on off!

And YES! Ive eaten WAY too many of my mistakes!! icon_cry.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 13

That is an awesome idea. Sure wish I had read it sooner. I just delivered a good size bouquet and those darn sticks are such a pain

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%