Cake Boards, Always A Problem For Me

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm by LittleLinda

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 4

I had originally bought plywood, and had it cut from the scrap department at the lumbar yard. and this has worked fine, but the other day I went back as I needed mor boards.

I went to the scrap dept. again, and this time they had LOUANN boards, alot thinner and very good shape!!! I had them cut them, free of course to the sizes and shapes I needed. I got a total of 8 boards for 3.67. I come home cover the boards and there I have it.

When I send a cake out, I put a 3.00 fee dep on the board, if it comes back, great! if not...I can replace it. Thought I would share.
For paper I use wrapping paper that is foil from the dollar store.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 4

Thanks for sharing your tip. I'm sure it;'s going to help many.
Now that you have the covered w/foil paper I suggest you add an additional covering of clear Contac paper. There is a slight chance that foil has lead in it.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 4

I cannot see your original post so I am going to assume that the issue you are having with the cake boards is the flexing? If so here is what I do. I use my hot glue gun and glue 2-3 boards to each other. That way I have NO flexing. Also, I hate the foil that boards get wrapped in so I allways use a wrapping paper that will fo well with the cake. After I wrap the boards in the paper, I cover them with a layer of clear contact paper and they look great. I hope that helps. If you continue to use something liek Luan please be VERY carefull. Luan has preservatives and natural oils in it that can seep into your cake as well as natural "voids" that can cause it to breakdown. . This is the same reason they no longer use it as a flooring underlayment. Sorry, I was the flooring trainer for the HOme Depot for 6 years and sonetimes that comes back.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 4

I use cardboard for free, cut it myself for free. Granted the cutting isn't perfect. I cover in freezer wrap. No deposit, no return.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%