Names On Side Of Cake-Best Way To Do This?

Decorating By yh9080 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm by yh9080

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 5

Next week, I am doing a 3-tier 80th birthday cake. The top tier is to have the names of children written on the side, the middle-names of grandchildren, bottom-names of great grandchildren. What is the best way to do all of these names? Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

4 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 5

print name on computer, mirror them dont forget!!! tape it to a cookie sheeet, and add color to your piping gel, trace them out, you can lay them also on a coffee can for a curved effect for round cakes.

then press onto cake, and pipe with color you need, or make them out of color flow and do same.

GOOD LUCK!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 5

If you have good writing and want to do them right on the cake make sure you raise the cake to eye level. Makes all the difference in the worldicon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

If you have good writing and want to do them right on the cake make sure you raise the cake to eye level. Makes all the difference in the worldicon_smile.gif

Good tip. It also works better to have a small amount of icing in your bag as opposed to half a bag full. Rest your elbow on something to steady yourself and pipe away.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions. It really turned out well. The suggestion to put the cake at eye level was a great one. I was suprised at how straight my writing was. I first covered a cake dummy with Glad Press & Seal to practice and that gave me confidence as well. I also used a parchment bag to pipe so I would have better control.

Thank you all again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%