I Think I Took On More Than I Can Handle!!!!

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm by jessi01

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding this weekend and that is fine.. I had no problem with the thought of getting it done, THEN I get an email from the bride asking if I could also do a gooms cake.. Nascar. I SAID YES! what was I thinking??? first off I have never made a 3D car!!! second the I'm not sure how to get all those details that are on those race cars!!! I do not have an airbrush or edible image printer!
what do I use to get the best effect for the windows?? I don't have a pan so I was planning on just making a 1/4 sheet and just cutting and stacking two layers and just trying to carve the shape i need.
I am sorry for all the rambling I'm just stress'n and needed to vent and see if anyone has any words of wisdom icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I am going to try and attach the pic of the car so you can see what I'm talking about.
LL

4 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 5

Here is a website with a tutorial to do a Lightening McQueen car. You could use this technique to do your cake, just change the colors.
http://www.how2cakes.com/3dcar.html

You can make the details out of fondant in advance.

Good luck!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 5

I would create an image with all the decals on it and take it somewhere where they can print out the edible image for you (WalMart or a cake decorating shop?) and then cut them out and put them on the car.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 5

I guess no time to order one of these?

http://www.polesitternoveltiesco.com/raca3dbaki.html

I agree though, stack sheet cakes and then carve away. I always make a template first out of paper so both sides are even.

I also cover the cake completely with grey fondant or chocolate, then cover it again and cut out the windows and such. Leaves a nice affect!

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for the tips! I saw that cake pan but no... no time and the shipping was really expensive!

I don't know about the image decals.. I asked the bakery at out local grocery store to do that one time and they wouldn't due to copyright issues.. and the logos all over the cars would most likely have the same problem?? Don't know... but that would be great if they would...Hhmmm?? go me think'n now icon_rolleyes.gif

and about the chocolate clay or fondant under fondant.. I thought of doing this too.. do you think the under color should be th color of my windows? like black or grey?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%