Buttercream Or Fondant? Please Help!!

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm by kakeladi

auntbeesbaking Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 4

I would be grateful for any advise, please.

I have a cake due Sun. for our pastor's family as their 9th (!) child is being baptized. His wife saw 9 x 13" display cake in the shape of a baptismal gown and would like that. I've spent 2 days looking and looking on the internet (this site first!) for ideas since I've never done this before. I've had wonderful tips from several people.

I need the cake to serve 100 people so I am assuming at least 2 cakes. The gown would be from a half sheet (2-layer) and the second I was thinking would either need to be a full sheet (1 layer or 2?) or else a half-sheet cake (2-layer); I'm not quite sure about that yet.

The other thing is, I don't know if I should just do it all in buttercream or try and do fondant. I've never done fondant on a cake, just on cookies. If I do do it all in buttercream, I don't know how to get it silky smooth, especially over the folds (ventricles of icing made with a #12 tip or coupler without a tip, I've learned).

If I do do fondant, I don't know how to make the fondant do the folds for the sleeves and on the gown part and how you execute that.

So many of you do such beautiful fondant cakes and I long to do the same. The problem is, I do NOT have an artistic bone in my body! I'm NOT kidding! Although I can color a mean coloring book page! icon_redface.gif

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention, my son's birthday is Friday (of course!), my husband is getting a root canal on the same day, and I sub tomorrow. My other son's birthday is next week along with 2 nephews also!! It ALWAYS, ALWAYS seems to happen that around my kids birthdays, I get busy and it's my son's that don't get their mom's cakes! I've actually had to order them a cake a few times! icon_redface.gificon_sad.gif However, they thought that was a big deal because that doesn't happen usually, and the cake was more detailed so I didn't feel tooo guilty. I just feel a little overwhelmed trying to get everybody's cake figured out and still enjoy the process!

I also am praying it stays a little warmer here in MI because my fibromyalgia really flared up this past weekend, but it's a balmy 26º right now! icon_smile.gif

I know this is long, but I am so indebted or any help. So to sum it up:
1)How much cake? (please also give layer amounts)
2)Fondant or buttercream?
3)How to get silky buttercream over the folds?
4)How to get folds and creases in the gown?

Thank you for any help you can give, I appreciate you all and this site so much!!

3 replies
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 4

I would use buttercream. After it crusts use a Viva paper towel and rub over it to smooth it, it will work great. Then use tip 3 or 2 to pipe out some pretty eyelet.

Two 12x18s feeds approximately 72 - 100 ... but if you're cutting away pieces, you will get less. May I suggest several little cupcakes on the side.

This sounds like a beautiful cake. Please post a pic when done.

j-pal Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 4

I don't know how big your oven is, but I'd probably go with a single layer full sheet for the bottom and then do a single layer 12x18 or 11x15 sheet on top with the baptismal gown laid over that. I'd do the cake in buttercream and the gown in fondant. When doing fabric in fondant, make it wider than the cake it's sitting on. That way you can "gather" the skirt and lay it on the cake and the skirt will lay in folds naturally. Or - you can make snakes of fondant and lay several down on the cake and lay your gown over it, or you can pipe large lines of bc where you want the folds to be and lay it over that. The bc will flatten somewhat, so make sure it's stiff and large enough. Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 4

I agree w/j-pal........b'cream w/the gown from fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%