I Need To Color Fondant

Decorating By Mel2085 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 11:02pm by mamacc

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 5

How do i do that?!? I've never really used it before, so i was wondering how do i do that?!?! Can i color it like i do my butter cream frosting? I plan on making my own!

Please help! Thanks!
Melissa

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 5

Yes...you color it like icing but you have to knead the color through.Make sure you powder your hands frequently with icing sugar so it won't stick.Immediatley wrap it up after.Tip...only add a dab of pink color for a pale pink otherwise you will get it too dark.You kinda have to play with the colors to get the right shade.HTH!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 5

I find it helpful to break it down into smaller batches for easier kneading. Even though each blob won't exactly be the same shade, you eventually knead them all together.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 5

If you want your entire batch of fondant to be the same color, you can add the coloring before you add the powdered sugar.

If you are coloring a partial batch, then just add the color onto the fondant and knead it in. If you have foodsafe gloves, consider wearing them. I have a very green fingernail right now because I didn't wear gloves yesterday! icon_smile.gif

(I don't know about regular fondant, but if you are using marshmallow fondant, then make sure to have a bit of shortening nearby. When you add the color, it will make the fondant sticky. It helps to add small amounts of the shortening to your hands to cut down on the stickiness.)

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 5

If I have to do a lot of coloring, and especially dark colors I like to wear a pair of gloves. Then you can add a lot of color and kind of just pull the fondant apart till it's combined. Much quicker for dark colors!!...and your hands stay clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%