Help! Cake Due In A Few Hours And It Looks Terrible :(

Decorating By dance2874 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm by dance2874

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 10

I am freaking out here and need some help...please!

I covered a cake in chocolate satin ice...it went on ok but the second tier had too much icing on it I think (or it was just too soft of icing, crusting cream cheese) because there is a spot that looks pretty bad. It is in the back so I can get over that I think.

On top of the fondant she wanted a vine pattern. I got a stencil to use and it was a nightmare. Did not work at all. So I went over the stencil and piped on the pattern. It is all lumpy looking now that it has crusted. I tried smoothing it with a damp paintbrush but it is still all lumpy. I dont think I can scrape it off at this point and even if I did I am pretty sure the results would be the same.

SO....now that the cake is assembled (3 tiers) I dont think I can fix my fondant issue. What can I do about my piping?? Should I attempt to scrape and re-do? Should I go over it with a larger size tip? HELP!! I am in tears thinking about delivering this cake. My SIL is SOOO picky.

I tried taking a pic but it didnt really show what I was talking about because of the glare off the fondant.

9 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 10

What is making the vine lumpy? Is your icing smooth?

Without seeing what you are talking about, my first thought was also what you did ... smoothing with a wet brush. But, since that didn't work, I might add a few flowers or leaves to the lumpy parts?

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 10

I wish I could help you but without seeing it, its hard to picture what you're talking about. In my experience, overpiping has always been a disaster unless I was doing something like a sheet cake and started with a bigger tip and then went smaller for effect. I might try and scrape off one little section and see what happens that way if its worse, you haven't completely ruined it.

As for the lumpiness, would chilling your cake help? I always chill my cakes before applying the fondant and then again after but I don't use a crusting BC so I don't know if that makes a difference. I find it helps avoid finger prints and dents and such.

good luck

dance2874 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 10

I have had it in the fridge. I am just wondering if I used too small a tip to start with or something. It is a vine pattern with leaves and I sort of filled in the leave outlines and smoothed the icing with a brush, like I was painting it inside the outline. I will go try to get a better pic to share.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe try taking a pic of the cake outside for the best lighting. That way we can see more of the details.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 10

For taking a picture, you can also try turning on bright lights in the room and turning off your flash. Or put your camera at a different angle so the flash bounces off a different part of the cake. Usually when I stand above my cakes, the flash is too bright, but if I get down at eye level, it seems to work better and there's not as much glare.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 10

What tip are you using to make your vines with? When you say "lumpy" are you referring to the icing not being straight? If you're squeezing the bag hard and moving too slowly, the icing will get built up in an area. If you're not squeezing hard enough, or moving too fast, the icing vine will tear. Sometimes a smaller tip also makes it more difficult to squeeze and get a straight line with. Just a thought - but without seeing the actual cake, it's difficult to understand exactly what you're referring to. Good luck!

dance2874 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I ended up scraping and re-doing sections of it with a larger tip. I think what happened was because there were remnants of the stenciled design underneath it just wasnt laying flat against the cake and I could see some of the stencil where the piping didnt cover. Hard to explain. And this is chocolate fondant with red vines so it is really hard to get a good photo of it. I am super critical and I am sure it will be fine...just one of those days!

Didnt help that when I was rolling fondant I grabbed baking soda instead of cornstarch so I was already irritated with it!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance2874

Didnt help that when I was rolling fondant I grabbed baking soda instead of cornstarch so I was already irritated with it!

You didn't notice the difference in consistancy? I'd die a thousand deaths if that happened to me! Poor thing.

So, now that he nightmare is over, how do you think it came out?

dance2874 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 10

Honestly I was so tired I didnt notice, lol! It wasnt sticking to the rolling pin so I didnt really pay attention and assumed it was the right stuff.

All in all I think it was ok in the end. She said it was very pretty and seemed happy with it, so unless she was just saying that to be nice (which is not her style) I guess it was fine. We are our own worst critic I guess. I will add a picture to my photos later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%