I Would Like To Know....

Decorating By kkitchen Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm by kkitchen

kkitchen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone,
I would like to know - can I subsitute cream cheese for sour cream in a recipe?

Thanks a lot

9 replies
dmich Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 10

Is this for a cake or a frosting? If it's for a cake, I would think that substituting cream cheese for sc would throw off the batter, making it much thicker than what's intended. But let's see what the experts on this site say. icon_smile.gif

butterfly831915 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 10

I would think it depends on the recipe and what it is for.

kkitchen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you, yes! It is for a cake. Acustomer wants a white cake - she said that she ate one with cream cheese in it. I do not have a recipe for white cake with cream cheese. I may have to tell her I can't. She is bent on white cake with cream cheese in the batter.

This is a headache.

Win Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 10

The only thing I can think of that might have even been close is a cream cheese pound cake. Those are fairly common, but don't come out bright white... soft buttery color. They are, of course, a good dense cake and usually quite moist. HTH

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 10

If someone says, 'We love my Aunt's chocolate cake so we want a chocolate cake for thus & such an event.' I explain that I'll be happy to make them a chocolate cake however I do not do legends*. There is no guarantee that it will resemble her Aunt's cake. In fact I am positive it will not.

Then, 'Well we can give you the recipe.'
OK, I charge $25 an hour to test recipes this covers shopping and travel time in addition to ingredient costs.' Then I can decide if it will work for your xyc event. While it is likely that it will not work, I take payment in advance minimum $250. Charges might exceed.

So I charge comfortably for headaches. Nobody has taken me up on it yet. icon_biggrin.gif

*key phrase "I do not do legends"-- Please repeat as often as necessary.

traceyjade Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 10

http://www.grouprecipes.com/4504/cream-cheese-bundt-cake.html

This is for a cream cheese bundt cake recipe.

mmgiles Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 10

Perhaps you can make a regualr box mix cake and add a box of cheesecake pudding mix.

leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 10

Yaknow, I don't take every order that I get a call about. If it's not in my offerings of 23 flavors, well they should just call the next person on their list.

kkitchen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much. I told customer that I am not able to make that cake. But! wants me to do my regular white cake ... hehe. I know. Some people are so strange. And, my thing is you want a cake like Aunt Betty - why not make Aunt Betty make it..... hehe.
Thank you all so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%