Marbled Effect With Buttercream

Decorating By countygirl28 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm by No-goodLazyBum

countygirl28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countygirl28 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 6

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am new here and still learning the ropes icon_smile.gif Is there a way to get a marbled effect with buttercream? I'm going to be making a log cabin cake and thought maybe I could get the wood logs to have a two-toned effect that blends well. Any ideas are greatly appreciated! TIA

5 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 6

I would probably just mix the two colors together. Mix just enough to combine, but not to make it a uniform color... I'm wondering if you could achieve that effect better with rolled buttercream? Maybe someone else will have a better idea...

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 6

But then again that depends on how you are applying it to the cake... If you are going to pipe lines for the logs (like with a tip 12) I'd fill the piping bag with both colors and pipe away... How were you planning on making the logs? If you were going to ice the cake with a spatula, I'd mix the colors like I mentioned before and then go over with a Viva paper towel...

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 6

I blend colors all the time by piping both colors onto the cake with tip 3 then using a tiny spatula to blend them. You don't have to pipe the colors on fully, there can be spaces because the spatula will fill it all in.

countygirl28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countygirl28 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much everyone! I've never used rolled buttercream before. Maybe I'll look into that!

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 6

I use a special "dual" piping bag made by Ateco to marble icing colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%