What Needs To Be Done First?

Decorating By SOULLA13 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 12:18am by kandu001

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:31am
post #1 of 12

I am making this wedding cake for this saturday and what my question is, is weather i make the bows and put them onthe cake as i construct it or should i construct the cake cake at the venue and then place the bows on there. My worry is if i put the whole cake together from home it might topple over during the journey to take it. I would like to hear your opinions on this? Thank you in advance. I have added a photo of the cake which the client has requested.
LL

11 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:59am
post #2 of 12

I would construct the cake at the venue and put the bows on afterward. You can put all of your polkadots on the fondant ahead of time. Take your repair kit with you for any emergencies that might come up. But that is how I would do a 4-tier.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif
Karen

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:59am
post #3 of 12

I think you can safely add the bows at the venue. What kind of support system are you using in your cake? That will help determine if you can trasnport it stacked. If you're just doweling I would say assemble it on site. If you're using something like SPS you should be safe traveling with it stacked. Either way to be safe you may want to add the bows when you get there.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 12

I never assemble onsite unless it's a pillared cake so I would definitely stack & fully decorate in my shop and then do a "drop n' go"... I just refrigerate for a couple of hours before delivery to harden the icing for a stiff cake and smooth delivery...

Good Luck!

Tammi

SOULLA13 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 12

do you guys also think i should make the bows from now so that they are set so that i can just add them on rather than make them from scratch at the venue? i am just dowelling so i will essemble at the venue.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 12

You can't make them at the venue or they won't hold their shape...You'll need to make them ahead of time with plenty of support so they'll dry properly and you can then either decorate fully before you go or take them with you and add them at the venue...

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 12

You can make them and just stack your pans the way the cake is stacked so you will get the right shape. The bow does have to be thoroughly dried, so I would take care of those as soon as possible depending on when your cake is due. But the streamers can be dried on the cake pans to get the proper shape for your cake.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 12

This is an adorable cake. I'm not a professional, so I just wanted to wish you luck.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 12

Its a cute cake and i agree with everyone else to assemble & dry bows at home and attach at venue...

however when i ready your subject line my first thought is "have a glass of wine" lol... seems all my problems seem to 'soften' by taking a few minutes and having a glass of wine... could just be me icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 12

Very cute cake! Don't forget to post a pic!

SOULLA13 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #11 of 12

thank you everyone for your support, i guess im a bit nervous as this is my 1st wedding cake!!!!!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #12 of 12

I would assemble at the venue for fear of the cake falling over in the car. Also, I would make the bows now because if you wait until until the day of at the venue, they will be droopy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%