New Cake Site I Joined

Decorating By nrich626 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 6:09am by xstitcher

nrich626 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrich626 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:04am
post #1 of 30

Hi all i just wanted to let anyone that wants to learn gumpaste flowers and figurines that a new site has opened that i really like. They have video's and teaching classes.It is called
cakedecoratingwithdonna.com. I really liked the site.

Nan

29 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:26am
post #2 of 30

This site costs over $200 a year to join, bit much for me plus it would want to have really new unseen techniques for that kind of money. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:14am
post #3 of 30

Hi Nan. Have you found a lot of new information on this site? Do you feel it is worth that rather steep cost? What kinds of things do they off on this site?
Jackie

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:17am
post #4 of 30

wow i can't believe its over $200 and theres no kind of preview to the site!!! i like to know what i'm buying, there are so many free sites that i could never see myself paying that kind of money. thanks for sharing the link anyway.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:41am
post #5 of 30

I jsut had a look and its very expencive for me too! Thanks for sharing anyway. icon_smile.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 30

Wow! Too expensive for me too...IMHO Cake Central is the best web site for cake decorating! Also, You Tube has videos on different things on cake decorating...for free!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 30

Could be the original poster is a relative/friend as they posted Donna's site 6 months ago and it is the only two messages that has been posted.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 30

I think I'll stick with CC that's to expensive for me, thanks anyways.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955

Could be the original poster is a relative/friend as they posted Donna's site 6 months ago and it is the only two messages that has been posted.

My thoughts exactly...

sugarwishes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroskoski

Quote:

My thoughts exactly...

once i looked at the site, that was my first thought. i just can't see anyone spending that kind of money and not know what they're getting. CC has everything on that site already, and if you can't find it on CC, someone will show you where to find it...and FREE.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 30

Yes, I agree, the OP is probably the owner of the site. $200 for a membership? I can't see anyone paying that much for an on-line membership.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 30

the only advantage i could see is that if you were to buy books and videos yourself...of course, you would get to keep those after...i can't help thinking why pay for info when there's a wealth here for free (and personalized to your specific needs?)

sugarwishes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 30

on the site it says "Member only Discounts on Donna's how-to videos and tutorials", so i guess the $200+ is just to look and get a few tips, but you're gonna have to keep on spending!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:07pm
post #14 of 30

To the OP................$200 to join a cake site? Cake Central and You Tube is FREE..............$200/FREE.......ummmmm, I'll stay with FREE icon_biggrin.gif I'm thinking you won't be getting any takers from here but thanks for sharing.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:12pm
post #15 of 30

Good information, but between CC and aine2, I'm set!
Thank you for letting everyone know, though.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:26pm
post #16 of 30

I'll stick with CC....Best advice you 'll ever get for Free!!!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #17 of 30

Hmmm, another CC mystery. Why didn't the OP mention that the site costs so much? Just a minor detail, right?

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #18 of 30

icon_lol.gif Yeah right! icon_rolleyes.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 30

Just stepping in to say I don't think she's the owner of the site... I pulled up her pics, and the gumpaste flowers she uploaded say they are her first... Unless she got really good at making them in a year I doubt she started her own site... but then again, I seem to be wrong about things more than I am right-lol!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:47pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:

Exactly my thoughts. If you look, she's been a member since 2005 and only two posts. Hmmmmm. icon_confused.gif

Besides, no one rocks it like Cake Central does! icon_biggrin.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:52pm
post #21 of 30

CC is the BEST!! thumbs_up.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:52pm
post #22 of 30

icon_confused.gif being a curious cat I had to take a peek. Donna has the right idea but I think in this down time it would be in her best interest to lower the cost. She might get more customers that can afford to stay with her longer.

I say good luck to those who are trying to make it own their own. It takes hard work and some guts!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #23 of 30

CC is the place for me, where everyone knows your name (okay, picturing walking into Cheers)

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

icon_confused.gif being a curious cat I had to take a peek. Donna has the right idea but I think in this down time it would be in her best interest to lower the cost. She might get more customers that can afford to stay with her longer.

I say good luck to those who are trying to make it own their own. It takes hard work and some guts!

Not sure if it takes guts or gall to post on another's site to gain clientelle. That would be like me coming to someone's bakery and passing out flyers for my cakes. But, whatever.

I agree she should cut the prices, it's expensive especially in light of the fact that you then have to buy products from the site. I saw another site like that, it offered free videos (same you can get on youtube, then if you wanted anything advanced, you have to pay for it on top of the membership, which was $19.95 a month. Comparable to "Donna's" site.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:17pm
post #25 of 30

funny thing... in her first post she mentions You Tube videos. I wonder if that site used to have free info?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #26 of 30

I've done a bit of research, and in all fairness to Donna, the owner of the site, what is being offered appears to be a live virtual classroom among other things.

...and NO I don't know anything more about this than what I've researched and don't know this woman or the OP personally or have any connection to either.

http://thesugarlane.com/donna/

http://www.facebook.com/people/Donna-Lane-Aberegg/568384815

Quote:
Quote:

It is a membership website that will be a Virtual Cake Decorating Classroom through the use of How-To Videos, as a member you will have access to the forums, live online classes, photo gallery, giveaways and a free videos each month as well as other great ideas that I have in mind for those who have always wanted to take a cake decorating class but do not have access to local classes in their area or those who have taken classes but want to learn other advanced techniques in cake decorating. My new site will allow you to learn all their is to know about Cake Decorating from the comfort of your home at your convenience.

When you consider what can be invested in Wilton classes--and they don't begin to touch on topics that are listed on this site, travel time and expense--this could be an attractive alternate to people wanting to learn.

Just saying...

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:14pm
post #27 of 30

Hmmm, I found her on you tube but I can't open the link to see if you can watch the video.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:30am
post #28 of 30

Hmmmmm

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:49am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

When you consider what can be invested in Wilton classes--and they don't begin to touch on topics that are listed on this site, travel time and expense--this could be an attractive alternate to people wanting to learn.

Just saying...

I have to agree. And it's only $21.95 a month. Not like you are taking a huge hunk of change out at one time.

I wouldn't mind joining if I knew what classes she would be teaching ahead of time. So I know if I want to spend the $21.95 that month or not. This could be a good thing for some.

edited to add: There's nothing posted but there is a calendar.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:09am
post #30 of 30

I love CC myself and wouldn't want to go elsewher but her name sounded familiar so I checked out her site and saw her pic. I knew I'd seen her before and sure enough she has several "free" youtube videos out there.

Here's just one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZg_Ns_-To&feature=channel

Love aine2 and toedna's videos too.....

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%