Anyone Ever Tried A Colon Cleanse?

Lounge By cakemommy Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm by mixinvixen

cakemommy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #1 of 14

I know, what a weird question! I'll spare all the boring details of why I have gained 20 pounds in the last year and a half. A broken knee hasn't helped that's for sure.

I have been reading a ton about colon cleansing and wanted to know if anyone here has tried it and what were some side effects that would keep you from doing it again. Were the results worth it. How long do the results last? Does bloating come back?

If anyone has given colon cleansing a try please fill me in. Oh, I am also referring to colon cleansing not done under a Dr's supervision (not that I am recommending that)!

Thank you to anyone who can give me some insight.

13 replies
cakemommy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 14

Anyone anyone?!?!?!

-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 14

I recently had a colonoscopy. For the prep, you buy basic stuff from the drug store, and spend about 12 hours running backwards and forwards to the bathroom. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had in my life, but it wasn't that bad either. I'd do it again if I felt the need, rather than spending $$$ on a colonic irrigation! BTW, I weighed myself before and after ( icon_biggrin.gif ) and I lost 6 pounds. Can't remember what the medications were, but you could google colonoscopy prep. Total cost was about $20.
Hope that helps.

lilacc01 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 14

I have done Dr. Natura's 3 month cleanse. I followed the directions to a "T" and I think it worked out very well for me. It is a bit of a lifestyle change and some of the components aren't exactly tasty, but I think it was money well spent. Not to be graphic, but I was shocked and amazed at the things that came out!

After Mardi Gras I plan to have a colonic.

cakes22 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 14

I did a detox/cleanse, and lost maybe 5 pounds. Wasn't fun! The results are short lived & for the effort and discomfort involved, I wouldn't recommend it tapedshut.gif !
I gained 30 lbs over a 5 year period, my highest weight was 195lbs. and at 5 ft. 7 that is considered obese. I couldn't afford to join Weight Watchers, but I bought the program off ebay (cost $59 + shipping). Followed it for almost a year & lost my 'extra' weight. I would highly recommend trying to lose weight the healthy way & not trying something that may hurt & cause health problems for yourself. If you want to do it, I would contact a Dr. or a nutritionist who may be able to advise you better.
Good luck & HTHs.

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 14

Never mind buying the colon cleanse....I get one for free...It's called losing your Gall Bladder...Everything goes through you every couple of days!! Sorry...Couldn't resist!! icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #7 of 14

Thank you for your replies everyone! I am 5'9" and am now up to 200 lbs. I have gained approx 24 lbs in a year and a half!!!!!!!!!! I have within that time gone on BC's to help lighten my period. I wasn't able to leave the house for three days!!!!! icon_mad.gif I don't need the BC for it's purpose, I had a tubal ligation in '05. The weight started to come on around that time frame and now with my other recently added medications for my GAD AND my broken knee, things have been tough. Now I haven't exactly been eating salads and grilled chicken this entire time either but before I broke my knee, I was at the gym 3-4 times a week for over an hour each time doing half cardio and half weight machines. The weight kept piling on. Yes I had gained some muscle but I know bloat and fat on my stomach from muscle. I've never had a flat stomach or at least one that doesn't stick out further than my B cup!!!!

Now about the gall bladder. I do have gall stones and was told when they were discovered about two years ago now that if I don't have any side effects because of them then I probably will never need to have them removed. Could gall stones have any issue here?

UGH!!! Thank you everyone for helping me with this icky subject!! icon_smile.gif

Ironbaker Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #8 of 14

Like lilacc, I did Dr.Natura's about a year ago and may do it again. However, a friend of mine also did prep for a surgery that included taking OTC stuff as well and she said she got some of the same results. Bloat went down, increased energy, sleeping better, etc.

I would recommend it as a way to do a cleanse for your body, you may lose a few pounds but it's not meant to be a weight loss regimen. If your eating habits stay the same after, yes, the bloat will most likely return. I plan to do one every year or so just as "maintenance" of sorts...the way you'd do other things to maintain health.

cakemommy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:31am
post #9 of 14

As a maintenance program yes, I do agree to "flush" things out every now and then would be good but definitely want to do it safely!

Thank you so much!

punkinpie Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 14

DH has had 2 colonoscopies in the last 3 months. He would definitely say NO to colon cleansing!! He thought it was a miserable experience that left him weak. The weight he lost he gained back right away.

The stuff he had to drink was horrible. I only had to pour it and bring him a glass of it every 10 minutes for 2 hours and I was gagging when I poured it.

mixinvixen Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 14

last january (08 ), i decided to cleanse my body in hopes that our infertility would go away. i chose a program that is under the supervision of a life/diet coach, a kinesiologist/chiropractor, and a hydroptherapist (colonics).

basically for 21 days, i only ate raw fruits and vegetables. after the first seven days, i was allowed to start having 25% of each meal be cooked,(steamed, broiled, etc...not fried!)... still had to be fruits or veggies though.

i bought a package of 15 colonics to go along with the program, to help flush out the toxins that were being pushed out by the diet. the thing is, nowadays, everything you buy from the grocery store has preservatives in it, which our body is not made to process. we breathe air with toxins in it. we eat foods that have been stored in a metal can for years. we drink water that has extra chemicals put in it, for our "safety". we use haircare, skincare products pumped full of chemicals to make them smell good, look good, act good...WHILE PEOPLE ARGUE THAT ALL THIS STUFF COMES FROM NATURAL THINGS, ONCE IT HITS THE LABORATORY, IT IS CHANGED INTO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT NATURAL ANYMORE...THUS, OUR BODY DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO PROCESS IT.

i immediately noticed a difference when i started the colonics. i did 4 to get ready for the program, then started the detox, and finished the colonics., taking appropriate vitamins the whole time. YOU CAN NOT DO JUST ONE STEP OF THIS PROCESS, IT CAN BE HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH!!!!!! the detox lifts the toxins out of your muscles and tissues, the colonics flush them out, the vitamins and supplements helps restore your system to the way it shoud be (electrolytes, mineral, vitamins, etc).

i am not a jump on the bandwagon kind of girl. i try to scientifically study something and form my own conclusions. the effectiveness of this program was proven to me during the process several times.

unfortunately i don't like a huge array of fruits and veggies, so during the 21 days, i had to eat alot of the same things. i've always loved raw pineapple so that became a staple. after about a week, i sit down for breakfast to a bowl of fresh pineapple. about 2 minutes into it, my tongue started going numb, then i started having trouble with my asthma, and my knees started hurting. luckily i had a colonics appt within an hour from then, and i had been warned that my body would start reacting to certain foods. my colonic appt was up a flight of stairs, and i barely had enough strength in my knees to make it up!!! seriously!! about 5 minutes into the procedure, my breathing instantly cleared up. at the end of the 45 minutes, the strength was back in my legs. apparently i am very sensitive to pineapple, almost allergic, but my body had been so suppressed by the toxins all those years, that it couldn't react the way it should.

#2. after about a week, i started having much more energy, and finally got a good nights sleep! the puffiness went out of my face, hands and arms, and my skin got really bad (toxins being pushed out)and then cleared up.

#3. i love coke, but usually only drink it when we eat out. i also love bread!!! halfway through the program, if i ate anything with carbonation or yeast in it, i was practically crying from stomach cramps, because it was creating bubbles in my intestines, which = bloating.

unfortunately, right after finishing the program, feeling awesome, and spending over $2000 on it all, we went into a surprise whirlwind of house buying and house selling. suddenly, convenience foods were a way of life. i now have a beautiful big dream house, but am back to being exhausted all the time, 10 lbs heavier, with a belly paunch. my face is back puffy again, as are my hands, feet and legs. this is the biggest proof i needed! i'm going to start the program again, this time on my own, and hopefully get back to where i was!

ok, my fingers are about to fall off now from this novel i just wrote!

cakemommy Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:00am
post #12 of 14

Thank you for sharing your experience! It really sounds like your body was practically shutting down and then once you had the "all clear" so to speak, you felt new again.

Well, for now I am just going to use psyllium husks (1 tsp) and plenty of water for a few days and slowly increase to the recommended 3 x's a day. I am not going to use this long term but just long enough to see if it helps. Now since I have taken my 1 tsp with plenty of water today I have been doing nothing but peeing peeing peeing! icon_redface.gif That's one thing I haven't been doing lately is drinking a lot of water. I know that is very important when you are trying to shed excess water weight.

neecerator Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 14

First of all, I am not a doctor, but I have a few words of advice or opinions on this subject. About 10 years ago I had a colonoscopy and those preparations are for that procedure only, not for a healthy way of instant cleansing. It's extreme and harsh.

My best experience was going to my wonderful "Naturopath." He holds 4 degrees, and I totally respect his opinions and advice. I did a 4-5 week detox protocol under his supervision. Detox can be dangerous and/or risky if you don't know what you are doing. Also there is no such thing as a 'one size fits all' approach. We are all unique in our physiology, etc. In my opinion, I would rather invest my hard earned money in a customized plan that is suited just for me, and I know will actually work, and have someone to call if I need to during the middle of it. I lost at least 25 pounds, and slept like a baby, and dreamed like crazy, getting REM sleep, tons of energy, enough to bounce around like a teenager! I felt like myself for the first time in years.

I also highly recommend the "Novasure" procedure if you're having problems with your period. 1st you have to know that you are done with your family. Some Dr. (a man) told me to go on the pill, and I refused. Why would I risk, heart and/or stroke side effects??! So I needlessly suffered another full year, before I finally decided to do the Novasure. Check out for that.

Be careful, and good luck.

mixinvixen Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 14

that was my point, also...this is something that can be harmful to your health if not supervised by people who have medical degrees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%