Fondant Butterfly Help Please

Decorating By cakesbygrandma Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm by jlynnw

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 8

I thought I knew what Iws doingfor my granddaughters Fancy Nancy cake but now she has decided that the cake must have butteflies. I have no idea how to make fondant butterflies. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

7 replies
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:51am
post #2 of 8

I have made fondant butterflies and RI. It just depends on what you want to do...

for fondant: I use a cookie cutter, roll out my fondant pretty thin then just cut away. If you want to make it look like it is flying then fold a 3 X 5 card and stick the butterfly in the crease and let it dry or if you dont have index cards you can set them on the edges of your cookie sheet if it has a lip around the edge. Does that make sense? I ususally dust the fondant with luster dust or something to give them a little sheen, too.

for RI: this is done similiar to how you would frost a cookie. Pipe your outline on a piece of wax paper or parchment paper and then fill in. You can do the wings seperately also. When they are dry you can attache them right on your cake just pipe the body then stick the wings in.

I hope this helps, it's kinda hard for me to explain... I learned the RI method from a Peggy Porschen book that I have. She had templates also so it made it very easy. Good luck and have fun!!

HTH,
Kim

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:58am
post #3 of 8

I hope this will help, it is from Natie.

http://www.how2cakes.com/butterfly.html

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:18am
post #4 of 8

Not sure how much time you have, but for my daughter's birthday cake, I ordered wafer paper butterflies from cakeart.com (see tinkerbell cake in my photos). They were only a couple dollars and they looked great. really easy, just cut them out and stick them in the icing. The kids were beside themselves that they could eat the butterflies (the adults were pretty impressed too!). I had them within 3-4 days of ordering. Good luck!

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 8

joenshan loveyour cake I looked allover cakeart web site and could not find the wafer butterflies. Any suggestions as to where I might find them on the site. Thanks

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 8

oh my gosh, sorry, different cakeart. try this site...

http://www.cakeart.us/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/3950

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 8

I did a cake recently where I cut them from fondant with a cookie cutter, then dried them so the wings were bent. Then I piped royal icing designs on the wings and added the body piece.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 8

the DD came home from WalMart with plastic suncatchers that she got in the hobby section. They worked perfect. I rolled out my gumpast thin, used the sun catcher like an embosser and let them dry on 3x5 cards and an egg carton. Painted and dusted. They are on the Sweet 16 cake I made.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%