Baking In A Bowl?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm by Frankyola

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:23am
post #1 of 7

I've posted in the disasters, but thought I'd post here too & might get tips.

I baked in my stainless steel bowl tonight & used the wondermold heating core on top of an inverted flower nail. Everything went fine until I turned it out & then was flipping it over again to be on its "bottom". Then it cracked in 1/2. It was baked all the way through, not doughy at all.

Should I bake it in a pyrex bowl instead?

Should I have just turned it out & let it cool w/out flipping it again to cool? It's just that it wasn't even on top & I'm afraid that might have caused a problem

I'm planning on doing Debbie Brown's pram cake & don't want to keep having flops.

The recipe I used (I doubled but didn't use all the batter)
BC mix
1 C water
8 oz yogurt
3 egg whites
2 T oil
1 C water

I'm thinking about using the WASC recipe, but want to make sure I'm doing everything right before I do

6 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #2 of 7

I haven't tried a stainless bowl for baking, but I have used Pyrex with excellent results. Perhaps the thin stainless bowl doesn't distribute the heat well? I don't know, but the Pyrex worked perfectly.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 7

I did it before in a stainless steel bowl and never had problems (I always use the cakelady's WASC it is amazing recipe and easy to work with) I do not know if your recipe is the problem but in my HO I will try the WASC,

SpringFlour your R2D2 cake it is AMAZING I love it y my son icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif , he want it for his birthday icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif congratulation you did an amazing job thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 7

Do you guys cool it w/ the big part down (just turn it onto a cooling rack to cool)? Or do you turn it out then flip it again (like w/ a regular cake) to cool? Does that make sense?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 7

I use stainless steel bowls with just a flower nail. Maybe the heating core from the wondermold was too thick and made it unstable. And, yes, I'd have cooled it completely before trying to flip.

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

Maybe I'll just use a flower nail & cool it completely upside down & try the WASC. Ha ha, then I won't know what did the trick.

I did forget to ask, how well does WASC rise? I know it's a denser cake, but does it rise well or is it a cake that stays about the same height as the batter?

Do you think 1/2 the recipe would be enough for a 2.8L/3qt bowl? It doesn't have to fill it, that's just my bowl size & Debbie Brown instructions say to use a 2 L bowl.

I'll be trying again this afternoon, hopefully w/ great results!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Do you guys cool it w/ the big part down (just turn it onto a cooling rack to cool)? Or do you turn it out then flip it again (like w/ a regular cake) to cool? Does that make sense?

Use flower nail as heating core and then let it cool like a regular cake 10 min, and then flip it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , WASC what can I thell you the best cake ever thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%