Edible Image On Jello?

Lounge By luv2c_cultures Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 1:19pm by Luna85moon

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:15am
post #1 of 16

Has anyone ever used an edible image on jello before? My mom said that she saw this done at a birthday party and was thinking of doing it for my daughter's birthday. Any thoughts? Thanks!

15 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 16

I've never seen it. I did a little googling and got no resuts on the subject. Are you planning to use jello instead of a cake?

luv2c_cultures Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 16

I will be doing a cake, but I just thought that it would be a neat idea to have an image on the jello too. icon_smile.gif

luv2c_cultures Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 16

So I just found a picture of what I was talking about. Anyone know how to do this? Amigas que hablan espanol, saben como se hace esto?

http://detodofiesta.net/images/gelatina%20elmo.jpg

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 16

What I do is use less water in the Jell-O and then stir in some yogurt (a complimentary flavor) to get the creamy look, then I do layers of clear, creamy, clear, creamy, etc. (However many layers/flavors you want.) Then after unmolding put the image on the 'bottom' which is now the top. You can do it on the clear Jell-O too, but I like how it looks on the creamy stuff better. Then decorate with Bettercreme. YUM!

luv2c_cultures Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #6 of 16

Thank you! So my question is, how do you put the picture on the jello? What kind of transfer would I use and where could I get it?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 16

Thanks for the idea. My MIL is gluten free and hates the cakes. This would be a really different idea that she could have. Mel, haven't done yogurt in the jello, just less water and sub the yogurt?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 16

Yes, If I am making molded Jell-O I cut down slightly on the water anyway... so here is how I do it...

For 'cream' layers: 1 cup boiling water poured into Jell-O powder, stir until dissolved. Pour in 3/4 cup yogurt, then stir until combined.

For regular layers: 1 cup boiling water poured into Jell-O powder, stir until dissoved. Pour in 3/4 cup cold water, then stir until combined.

What I do is make them the same flavor for each two layers. Example: 1 layer orange made with yogurt, then one layer orange made the regular way. Then move on to raspberry, one layer of each, etc.

For the edible image, you need to use the same type of edible image you use on cakes. Icing sheets printed with edible ink by a printer that has never had 'regular' ink in it.

luv2c_cultures Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 16

That's great! Thank you for the explanation/instructions! I think I will have to do some experimenting soon! icon_surprised.gif)

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 16

You print the design on regular paper (edible ink of course) and lay it printed side down on white jello made with milk. The milk jello has to be really hard or it will stick to the paper.
Let the paper rest for a good five minutes, rubbing it as you would your tummy if its hurts, so the colors passes from the paper to the jello.
MIlk jello:
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons powdered no flavor jello, bloomed in half cup cold water than melted in the micro
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
Make layers by alternating color jello with the milk jello, make sure the first one is milk so when you unmold it ends on top.

luv2c_cultures Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #11 of 16

Thank you everyone for your help with this! So I finally made the jello and here is the result! Super-easy! Just time consuming doing the different coloured layers (can't really see in the photo)
LL

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 16

That is amazing! The colors are beautiful!

luv2c_cultures Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you! It was actually very easy to make. icon_smile.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #14 of 16

I love this idea, and it is so versatile for people with allergies etc. I think jello and cool whip have a recipe where you mix cool whip into the liquid jello, you could use that for someone who can't have dairy.

Then you could even do some piping in cool whip and make it look like a cake.

I love cake central!

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 16

Cool idea. Great way to bring some extra fun to a pot-luck when you don't want to make a cake!

Bec

Luna85moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luna85moon Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 1:19pm
post #16 of 16

Hi it looks wonderful i have been thinking on doing this, i have a question did you put the image and leave it on the jello just like you do on the cake or did you transfer it putting the printed sidE down and then removing the sheet? Thank you very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%