How Would You Do This Technique?

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 12:25am by kandu001

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #1 of 13

I have a bride that wants this technique on a chocolate cake. First off it looks like chocolate ganache. Or is it buttercream? Could use either or chocolate fondant.. Trying to figure out the easiest way to do the chocolate striping along the sides of the cake.

12 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 13

It looks to me like that cakes were covered in chocolate ganache and then the lines were piped with buttercream.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

It looks to me like that cakes were covered in chocolate ganache and then the lines were piped with buttercream.

Totally agree with cakepro it looks like covered in chocolate ganache and then piped with BC thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:19am
post #4 of 13

Thanks for your input! thumbs_up.gif I have never covered a cake totally in ganache so guess I better make a practice cake.. icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 13

The "stripes" look too perfect to be bc to me ... I see no breaks in them at all! I wonder if they are stiks of chocolate ... maybe a mixtue of white and chocolate candy melts to get the color and piped with tip 3 on parchment first then cut. Looks like a lot of work either way!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 13

Looks like a dark choc bc base and then lighter choc bc lines piped on.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 13

My guess is that the cake was ganached due to the beautiful glassy sheen showing on the ledge, then the side stripey things were piped then the sides were airbrushed over to give the stunning flawless finish.

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 13

Wow.. so many different ways though to get that look! I would prefer to just do the buttercream with lighter buttercream striping over it. To me that seems much easier. Either way it will be time consuming.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 13

Tarheelgirl: do iticon_smile.gif I think everyone is making this too hard. I would ice it in chocolate b'cream then pipe on tip 3 lines.......simpleicon_smile.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 13

arheelgirl I agree with kakeledi don't be scare do it.

It is good that you have so many opinions because what seems to easy for me could be hard for you, my opinion is read all of them and stick with the one it is easier for you for example for me is easy to work with ganache instead BC, maybe for you BC it is easier than ganache the good think is every body give you an advice and I am sure every body post their advice with a very good intention to help thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif .

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 13

If the client is looking for the same finish as the cake, having it done in buttercream rather than ganache might prove disappointing.

Ganache is super-easy to do and the finish is so lovely. It is a distinctively different finished look from buttercream.

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks guys! I welcome any suggestions or advice! I love CC because of the fact that so many talented people have such great ideas and are willing to offer help.

Oh.. I am not scared to try something at least once! icon_biggrin.gif I have never used poured ganache to cover an entire cake before. I have made it tons of but only to use as a filling. I did give her some different options and did tell her that the shiny look could only be done with the ganache.

Guess I need to make a small practice cake to work with the poured gananche!! Guess its good that I LOVE chocolate!

icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #13 of 13

I agree with kakeladi, but I like the idea of a slightly lighter piping for the lines to give it the effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%