Sample Cupcakes

Business By Mandeepthemom Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 2:17pm by -Tubbs

Mandeepthemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandeepthemom Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 6

I am fairly new to cake decorating...I have an order of cupcakes for next week...only 45 cupcakes...charging $1.50 per cupcake (she will pick them up)
She called me and wants to taste them???
Should I go through the hassle of baking a couple for her (she wants half vanilla half chocolate ) so I would have to bake one of each...
This is total hobby, and it seems like I would be wasting a lot of time for a potential order...it would be good word of mouth, but I am charging her less because I am new....should I do it, if so should I charge her for them...I would assume so

thanks for your help

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:55am
post #2 of 6

I don't sample for anything under 75 people. Some Cc'ers dont' sample for anything under a certain dollar amount.

So she's already placed the order and NOW she wants to sample it? IF you even consider this, if it were me, I'd tell her, "Since I have to make a whole batch of batter for just two cupcakes, I'll have to charge you for a full 2 dozen (or however many a batch makes) since I would have no use for the leftover. At $1.50 each, do you really want to pay $36 for a sample cupcake?"

But it's just easier to say "I dont' do samples for under XX."

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 6

Heck no, I wouldn't bake her free cupcakes to taste. Tastings are meant for large orders, like weddings or really big parties where they place a well-paying order and you can compensate for the "tasting"....not for regular orders of 45 cupcakes, sorry!

If she wants to taste before ordering 45, she can order your minimum order....which should be something like a dozen per flavour.

And please remember, just because you are new to this and doing it as a hobby for now doesn't mean your time/supplies/sourcing ingredients/packaging/electricity/deliveries are not worth money and compensation. If you don't pay yourself for those aspects, it's going to be a big money loss in the long run and you'll grow to resent it, okay? icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #4 of 6

Oh heck, and I even spaced on the fact that she didn't even order a full 4 dozen! icon_surprised.gif THat may sound like a big order to her, but it's really not.

Mandeepthemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandeepthemom Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:18am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone...I will e-mail her tonight...samples will cost her...makes sense...that is what my gut was saying.
She's one of those people who wants a lot, but does not want to pay a lot....

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 6

For future reference you might also want to bear in mind that many (most?) bakers sell in increments of one dozen only. So she may only need 45 cupcakes for her guests, but she needs to buy 4 dozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%