Castle Cake-Many Questions

Decorating By islandgirl72 Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 5:26am by islandgirl72

islandgirl72 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 15

I am very new to all of this and have a lot of questions that I am hoping some of you can help me with. I am in awe of all the beautiful cakes I have seen here.

My daughter has requested a castle cake for her 4th birthday and I have looked at many, many pictures and have a good idea of what I would like to make, but have some questions...

1. This will be my first stacked cake (2 tiers). She wants chocolate cake.
  Would the chocolate version of the WASC cake be ok for this?
  Also, I live on a little island and have no access to cake supplies so I am wondering if there is something I can put between the tiers that I have access to (like cereal box board or the cardboard a frozen pizza comes on)? I am planning on putting dowels in for extra support.
  Should I cut the cakes to the size I want before or after I freeze them? I only have a couple sizes of pans and so I am going to have to cut them to the dimensions that I need.

2. My plan is to cover the towers and the two tiers with MMF (I just made this for the first time as a practice and liked it).
  Can I color the MMF after I melt the marshmallows to make it easier to mix in or is it better to color it once it is made?
  Can I make the towers (towel rolls and ice cream cones covered in MMF) ahead of time? I thought this might save time, but dont want them to fall apart either.
  Also, if I crumb coat the cake in a BC made without egg how far in advance can I assemble the cake? I am hoping to do that the day before at least so that I will have plenty of time to do all the decorating.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as well icon_smile.gif

14 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 15

That's a lot of questions lol!
I just made a huge castle cake for my daughter's 4th b-day.

I had a sheet cake pan, and I bake two of them. One for the bottom base for the castle, like the landscaping, then I cut the other one up in four equal pieces to stack up for the castle. You can totally use any piece of cardboard cut to fit for something of this size.

I like to stack two layers, then dowel for support, and stack the next two layers (on separate board) on top, and that makes a nice tall castle. Then I doweled the bottom sheet cake and stuck the whole castle on top.

I refrigerated my cake (tightly wrapped in plastic wrap) for a couple hours before I cut it up.

It is much easier to color the MMF when it is melted. Just add a little more color than you think you'll need, since you will be mixing it with all the white powdered sugar.

You can definitely make the towers ahead of time. Way ahead of time. They will be fine.

My daughter's party was on a Saturday. I baked on Wed. crumb coated on Thurs. decorated everything on Fri. so on Sat. all I had to do was put it all together and add the finishing touches-pink sugar sparkles, etc.

There is a website called coolest-birthday-cakes.com and if you type in castle cake it will show you tons of pictures of home made cakes. A lot of times they will tell you how they did them. It's a good site for beginners, because it's not too complicated, but a lot of the cakes are really cute. Good for inspiration.

I hope this answered some of your questions. Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 15

........1. This will be my first stacked cake (2 tiers)... wants chocolate.... Would the chocolate version of the WASC cake be ok for this?.........

Definitely my *original* WASC choco version would be perfect.

.... wondering if there is something I can put between the tiers that I have access to (like....cardboard a frozen pizza comes on)? I am planning on putting dowels in for extra support........

Yes, since it is for family use the pizza cardboard....it actually *is* a cake board icon_smile.gif
........ Should I cut the cakes to the size I want before or after I freeze them?........
You can do it either way. A cold (but not fzn) cake cuts easier.

.......2. ...cover the towers...and tiers with MMF.........color the MMF after I melt the marshmallows to make it easier to mix in or is it better to color it once it is made?
Again, you can do it either way.

Can I make the towers (towel rolls and ice cream cones covered in MMF) ahead of time? ......
Yes, do them up to a week ahead. If the cones are waffle cones they probably will get a bit soft if it is humid in your area.

.......crumb coat the cake in a BC made without egg how far in advance can I assemble the cake?...hoping...the day before at least ........
YOu can b'cream crumb the cake up to 3 days in advance. Since you are adding MMF , assemble the cake after you add the MM to each tier separately.

islandgirl72 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:48am
post #4 of 15

Thank you both soooo much for your replies. You have no idea how much I appreciate the help.

Crossing my fingers that all goes well. icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 15

I made a castle cake and used cake cones for the towers with sugar cones on top. I coated them with melted white candy coating. I rolled the sugar cones (turrets) in colored sugar to match the castle. They were sturdy, but not too heavy and worked well. I attached them to the cake board with royal icing. I have a picture posted but don't know how to attach it here. Maybe you could look in my photos.

islandgirl72 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 15

That is really close to what I have planned. You're daughter's castle turned out so pretty! Thank you so much for sharing what you did.

I am thinking of either doing my towers like you did, or the way with the paper towel rolls, then cake cone, and then sugar cone for the turret.

poohsmomma Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 15

Good luck; whatever you come up with I'm sure your daughter will be pleased and excited.

islandgirl72 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #8 of 15

A big thank you to both of you for your help and to everyone who has castle cakes in the gallery. I think I looked at every single picture.

The castle turned out better than I could have hoped icon_biggrin.gif
LL

sweet1122 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 15

WOW!!! Oh my gosh! That's GORGEOUS! Your patience and attention to every detail is clear! I love the pretzels! I love it all!!! Congratulations, she must have LOVED it. thumbs_up.gif

KatieKake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 15

I have made castle cakes for two of my granddaughters, and in both cases, I made them out of styrofoam for the base, and tubes from plastic wrap, covered in fondant for the towers. My reasoning was that I knew that our oldest grand daughter would not want her castle cut. (I once made a train cake for a little boy whose heart was broken when they cut up his train). Our oldest granddaughter, has since had the castle as the table center piece on her birthdays. My daughter in law, has had request from others to borrow, rent, or buy the castle for their little girls birthdays. Our youngest granddaughter had her castle cake about a month ago for her 4th birthday, and was thrilled with it, and the fact that she could save the castle too.

islandgirl72 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet1122

WOW!!! Oh my gosh! That's GORGEOUS! Your patience and attention to every detail is clear! I love the pretzels! I love it all!!! Congratulations, she must have LOVED it. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif I learned a lot for the next time I may try one of these.

islandgirl72 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

I have made castle cakes for two of my granddaughters, and in both cases, I made them out of styrofoam for the base, and tubes from plastic wrap, covered in fondant for the towers. My reasoning was that I knew that our oldest grand daughter would not want her castle cut. (I once made a train cake for a little boy whose heart was broken when they cut up his train). Our oldest granddaughter, has since had the castle as the table center piece on her birthdays. My daughter in law, has had request from others to borrow, rent, or buy the castle for their little girls birthdays. Our youngest granddaughter had her castle cake about a month ago for her 4th birthday, and was thrilled with it, and the fact that she could save the castle too.

What a great idea! Did you make a seprate cake for cutting then I guess?

poohsmomma Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:00am
post #13 of 15

It turned out really cute. Love the pretzels. I know your little girl felt just like a princess.

andpotts Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #14 of 15

Wow, your castle came out awesome! I have done 2 so far and I know how much work and detail go into them, I love how you did this one and I will have to borrow your white pretzel railings, I did pretzel rails on my pirate ship and didn't even think about it for the castlesicon_smile.gif You did a great job!!!! Andrea

islandgirl72 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:26am
post #15 of 15

Thanks Andrea icon_smile.gif I really like your castles too and the pirate ship was fantastic. I haven't seen those pretzels before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%