Branching Out

Decorating By saberger Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 4:14am by KrissieCakes

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I am ready to be more creative in my cake flavors. I have the standard white, yellow, chocolate, and choc. chip cakes. Now I want to go crazy and choose my next awesome cake recipes. I found a couple of posts here with lists of cake/frosting combos - OMG!!!! I never even knew those kinds of things existed. I feel SO inadequate!

What should I start with? Red Velvet? I understand that is really good?! And I have also read a lot about WASC.....worth making and having part of resume?

I am open to any and ALL ideas, but they have to be delish, of course. I would prefer to make from scratch if possible. And should I start messing around with brushing the cakes with syrup? I have never done that - does it really make a difference?

TIA for all ideas and help.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #2 of 5

There are many posts on here about gourmet flavors.....that a look.

Some basic ideas: butter pecan; apple cinnamon; WASC which can be made in any flavor available.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 5

Red Velvet is phenomenal. I am addicted to that stuff. I use the recipe from PinkCakeBox's blog...mmmmmmm....I want to go make some right now! icon_smile.gif

WASC is tasty, but it is another white cake, so not crazy different from anything else really.

You should get the Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook - they have a lot of really great recipes and fillings - hazelnut cake with nutella filling, lemon cake, too many to name! But there are a lot of others in the recipe section here too.

Have fun - I'd love to hear what you experiment with - I'm in the experiement mode right now too!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 5

I have checked the gourmet flavors forum here and have gotten some ideas, but there are SO many of them! I can't figure out what would be good to start with! icon_eek.gif

I do have the whimsical bakehouse book....got my choc. chip cake from there...mmmm.

I'll take a look at the red velvet recipe from the pink box place..thanks.

But why use WASC versus a different white cake recipe?

(I really don't mean to sound annoying or anything, please forgive me if I do. I have spent time rying to come up with a couple of really tried-and-true recipes that I like, and working on some decorating aspects (ok...and cookies), that I hadn't done this part.)

Again, TIA

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

But why use WASC versus a different white cake recipe?

I think that kakeladi was trying to say you should try the WASC variations. There is a thread here on that somewhere too. There are tons of ways to change the WASC recipe into other flavors. If you have a good white cake recipe, I would not think you would need the original WASC recipe, especially if you're trying to do everything purely from scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%