First Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By csvess Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm by csvess

csvess Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 5

This weekend I was asked to do a wedding cake for my cousin in April. I had said that I would never do a wedding cake. I do this for fun (and I'm still pretty new) and I don't need the stress of constructing a 6-tier cake. But she told me that she would like her cakes on seperate plates, ie no stacking, and just wants something simple.

So for questions, I need to purchase plates. Any ideas what I should get or where I can purchase them inexpensively? Also, this will be by far the most cakes I've ever had to make at once. How far in advance can I bake and freeze them? How far in advance can they be iced and decorated?

If anyone has any tips for anything that I haven't thought of yet or design ideas, I would certainly appreciate it. I should also add that the cake is for 250 people. Thank you!

4 replies
Chippi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 5

Here's some links that might help you:

Here is a forum link on Wedding cakes that is full of links for help:

Let us know if we can help your more icon_smile.gif I am also doing my first wedding cake due in July for my daughter!

Chippi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 5
Chippi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 5

You can freeze your cakes 3-4 days in advance. Iced or decorated I usually do mine the day before. Wilton also has wedding cake ideas but of course my favorite Cake decorator is Edna she is a member also of CC and she has a website called......
if you would like to see her beautiful creations!

csvess Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the links and tips! I'm sure I'll continue to have questions as the date gets closer. But this is a great start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%