Carrot Cake...help!

Decorating By klutz Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm by stlcakelady

klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 21

I have a lot of customers who love our carrot cake recipe. It tastes great, and is really moist. the problem is...it always falls really bad. It is cooked all the way through, but it caves in after we take it out of the oven. any suggestions?

20 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 21

I think we are going to have to see the exact recipe to help out here. Post it.....including the directions.

klutz Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 21

sorry...here's the recipe:

4 eggs
2c. sugar
1 1/2 c. veg. oil
2c. flour
2-3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. powder
1tsp. soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2c. grated carrots

combine eggs, sugar and oil, mix well. add dry ingredients. stir in carrots. bake at 350 for 35 - 40 mins. cool for 10 mins, remove from pans to wire racks.

pretty simple, but it always caves in. i'm wondering if it has to do with the oil?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 21

That is exactly my thoughts. That is a lot! of oil. Have you ever tried making it w/only 1 cup oil? I bet you will have better resultsicon_smile.gif

klutz Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 21

we haven't messed with it yet. i wanted to get some other opinions before we do. it's not a bad recipe, and we don't want to mess it up, but it definately needs some tweaking.

post #6 of 21

we haven't messed with it yet. i wanted to get some other opinions before we do. it's not a bad recipe, and we don't want to mess it up, but it definately needs some tweaking.

post #7 of 21

post #8 of 21

post #9 of 21

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:31am
post #10 of 21

my carrot cake recipe is moist too, so far i've gotten positive comments about it.

it never fell. how i did it, i've always put the dry ingredients last. my carrots go in before the dry ingredients.

mclaren Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #11 of 21

my carrot cake recipe is moist too, so far i've gotten positive comments about it.

it never fell. how i did it, i've always put the dry ingredients last. my carrots go in before the dry ingredients.

mclaren Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #12 of 21

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #13 of 21
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #14 of 21

Your recipe is way out of whack..11/2 c. oil to 2 c flour ??? I'd start over and just use the spice you like in that cake to get a similar flavor profile. I'd give you mine but it has tons of other than carrots in it, so much so it should probably be called fruit cake.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #15 of 21

Sunken center-too little liquid, excess sugar or shortening or baking temperature too low.

The recipe I use has 3 eggs, 3 cups of flour, 2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cup oil and pinapple with juice. I think I would back off on the amount of sugar and oil to flour ( particularly if the crust is dark.)

klutz Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm
post #16 of 21

sorry about the multitude of repeat replies. my computer was wacking out or something. thanks for the suggestions. we'll give them a try and see what happens.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:34pm
post #17 of 21

I disagree. I use a recipe that calls for 1 1/2 cups of oil and 2 cups of flour and it works great! However, my recipe also calls for more leavening ingredients.

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups grated carrots (I use the baby ones in the bag...1 bag = 3 cups)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Bake at 350. Turns out great every time. Sometimes I use an extra egg to hold it together.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #18 of 21

The above recipe has more leveling and more carrots. That might be the answer to your problem. Increase the spices very slightly to get the flavor the way you want it, and use her leveling agent and carrot measures. By increasing both you will have more rise and the increase in carrots would lower the sugar and oil levels in ratio to other ingredients.

klutz Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:13am
post #19 of 21

that sounds reasonable. i like the texture we get. this one sounds like it will have the same texture and consistency. thanks.

scelin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scelin Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:52am
post #20 of 21

I agree that is too much oil, you can try it again with 1 cup, If you need to add nuts ( I use pecans) reduce it even more, probably to 3/4 cups. I usually use a spray for my pans but for carrot cake I use partchment paper to avoid extra oil. Hope this help.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #21 of 21

I hear what everyone is saying, but I do like a moist cake. Coincidentally, I've been baking carrot this week using the recipe I gave you. It is wonderful! It's a blue ribbon winner and the best carrot cake I've ever tasted. Wish I could take credit for coming up with it. Anyway, the cakes this week were requested without nuts, but I usually add pecans and get many requests for it. Don't mess with the oil, it's GOOOOD.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%