Help With Donated Cake

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 1:31pm by deeb173

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I have agreed to do a cake for a volunteer banquet that the staff is doing for our church (my husband is the youth minister, now you know why I got roped into this!) They expect maybe 200 people (although truly that's just a guess) so I've decided to make the best of the situation and do a big cake that would be appropriate for a smaller wedding since I've never done a wedding cake before and if I screw up, the church can't care since they aren't paying for it (and in truth, the cake can be cut into slices before they see it if something goes wrong!) Anywho, it is going to be a 8" square, 12" round, 14" square tiered (I'm also making a sheet cake just for more servings). It will all be iced in buttercream, which I am leaving white or coloring ivory. As for design, my idea was to do cornelli lace on the 8, quilt with dots on the 12, and scroll work on the 14. I don't know if I should do those in a color or if leave it white or ivory. I don't want a bride to be unable to invision the cake in her own colors by doing something offputting with this cake. Does that make sense??? Somehow I need to put a thank you on it, I have some royal icing that I might make a plaque or I am open to other suggestions. I have also considered putting a loopy bow at the top (another thing I've never done) but don't want to overdo anything. Anyways, I know this is a long post but any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!

Angela

2 replies
ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 3

Anyone have any ideas? Should I use black??

Angela

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 3

I think that if you want a bride to be able to invision it....then I think I wouldn't do black. But maybe a couple of soft pastel colors? Definately the loopy bow on top...that sounds cute. And I like the plaque idea or the thankyou written on the bottom board. Good luck and share the pics when it's done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%