Just Starting Out...need Tips Please

Decorating By LisaD923 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm by aprilcake

LisaD923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaD923 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 5

HI All,
I'm still getting started in the whole Cake "business". Mainly just making for family and friends at minimal cost. But many people think I should take it to the next level. My questions before going further...

1. This is probably really stupid...but do most bakeries make their cakes (wedding/party) out of doctored box mixes like WASC or are they from scratch? I love scratch cakes, but not sure if it's the way to go...

2. What are some basic cake flavors every baker should have under her/his belt?

3. Filling flavors?

4. What kind of fondant do the "pro's" use? Do they make their own, use a mix? Can MMF be used professionally? (i've not attempted this yet! I'm a butter cream fan!)

5. Any other tips/ideas for getting started?

Thanks everyone!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 5

Well what a shame on us that no one had any ideas for you. Actually I looked at this post this a.m. and couldn't think of much but here are a few suggestions:

........do most bakeries make their cakes (wedding/party) out of doctored box mixes like WASC or are they from scratch? I love scratch cakes, but not sure if it's the way to go.......
It's really up to you. Can you keep up w/the ingredients needed for a business baking from scratch? I found it much easier to use 50# bags but......the cost isn't any better than buying boxed mixes.

........ some basic cake flavors every baker should have under her/his belt? .......
Of course white (aka: vanilla);& chocolate icon_smile.gif From there you can change your white cake into strawberry, fr vanilla, WASC; butter pecan; spice w/the addition of juice, coffee creamers, puddings, or ground nuts etc.

.......What kind of fondant do the "pro's" use? Do they make their own, use a mix?.......
Again, this is up to you. Some still make their own, but others swear by SatinIce - saying their time is more valuable than making it. Even Duff (Ace of cakes) buys ready made fondant! I used PattinIce (sp?) and loved it. Make Nic Lodge's gumpaste yourself.
Hope that helps some.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 5

Hi LisaD

If your friends and family are encouraging you - maybe you should stick with whatever type of cake they are raving about! icon_biggrin.gif
Seriously, I don't think there is a "what most bakeries do" answer. Depends on your style, your tastes, your customers tastes, your area, etc. Some think scratch tastes gross, some say the same for a box. Ya can't please 'em all!

Practice, test, experiment til you have a consistent product that you can put out there. Like kakeladi said, white and choco are most popular, but there's a whole 'nother world of flavor out there!

Good Luck!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

Oops...duplicate

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 5

Hi! In my time the past year or so that I have done cakes, i have noticed many bakeries do scratch and many do doctored up box's like WASC...i personally like a mixture of the two. I have a banana cake that is scratch and amazing but I use the WASC for my white cake. I just choose which recipes give me the best tasting and moist cake. I find a lot of scratch cakes are dryer than box. basic flavors to start out with are vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and banana, i have customers who LOVE banana!

Even just putting some fruit preserves in the middle layer with some icing can add a lot to a cake!

If you make your own fondant and like the taste and feel, then keep doing that. Or you can be like many of us and buy it from a place, I use satin ice and LOVE it! Much much better than wilton!

Hope this helps! Hope you have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%