Information: German Baking Powder

Decorating By jennicita

jennicita Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 1

I don't know if any of you have been frustrated with how your cakes turn out in Germany (or maybe this is an issue in other countries, too) but I finally did some research and found the problem. Maybe this might help a few of you - I did a search in the forum and don't think the topic's been covered yet.

Anyway, my cakes kept coming out fully baked but super in no air holes. No fluff whatsoever. I threw out my baking powder, bought name-brand, nothing helped.

The reason: Germans use single-acting baking powder and in the States double-acting is standard. Single acting powder reacts to the liquid so it has to be baked right away. Thinking back, I started having more and more problems as I began turning my oven temp down to get level cakes. The baking powder was petering out before the cakes could finish baking!

Double-acting powder reacts to the liquid and also to heat so that's why you can even bake the batter the next day - you still have that second leavening action when you add the heat.

I did quite a bit of searching and finally found a source for (hopefully) double-acting baking powder online which isn't too expensive. In the description it specifically mentions the reaction to heat so that's gotta be it. I still have to try it out but wanted to post this info before I forget. Mind like Swiss cheese. And speaking of Switzerland, I found a source there with British baking powder. Just costs an arm and a leg to ship to Germany (2 miles over the border!) which is why I had to keep looking.

In Germany: www . hobbybaecker . de
In Switzerland: www . americanmarket . ch

Hope this saves somebody some frustration!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%