Pearl Border

Decorating By courtney1009 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm by mbt4955

courtney1009 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 24

I am going to be making a square wedding cake with 14", 12", 10" and 8" layers . I want to do a pearl border around each layer. I was wondering which mold to buy. Which brand is the best / easiest to use? And which size should I buy to make it look nice? Thank you.

23 replies
grama_j Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 24

I'm answering this because I want to keep your question active.... I don't have the answer, but I'm dying to find out...... the molds all are in milimeters, and I don't know what they mean..... are the smallest numbers actually the smallest pearls, and just how large IS a 4mm compared to a 6 or 8mm ?

courtney1009 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 24

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about this! I thought maybe it was just me.

rockysmommy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 24

I have a chart...hope this helps. I wanted a pearl necklace but was unsure of the size...so I got a chart. HTH

http://www.thepearlmarket.com/pearl-information3.htm

courtney1009 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 24

Thanks rocky's mom! I'm still confused though. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

grama_j Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 24

Oh, wow.... that is good info..... now what size would normally be used on a typical cake ....... like a 6 or 7 ?

Jeannem Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 24

Most times they use at least an 8mm pearl for a border. That in itself is small and won't hide many frosting flaws...

grama_j Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 24

Thank you ...GREAT INFO !!

AlanT Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 24

I'm a little late jumping in but here are my thoughts. The 6mm are the most commonly sold and used. They are perfect for the bottom tier of cakes about 12 inches or smaller. On larger cakes, the 8 mm work well. I now see a lot of decorators purchasing the pre-made pearl dragees and alternating sizes along the bottom tier-a nice touch but more work.

As for the best mold, First Impression is absolutely my choice as a decorator. I have a link on my site under Instructions Sheet-Successful Molding that demos the use of these pearl molds.
Alan

lorijom Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 24

Don't forget you can also roll them yourself. Then you aren't limited in size to the mold sizes you own.

mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 24

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions, but Jennifer Dontz does a lot of pearls and she has been very helpful when I have had questions. You might try sending her a pm and ask her what size pearls she uses ... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-62630.html

I agree with Alan about the First Impression molds. I have several - just don't know what size I ended up getting because I was where you are. I now have some that are so tiny I doubt that I will ever use them. icon_sad.gif

grama_j Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 24

" I now have some that are so tiny I doubt that I will ever use them. "

That is EXACTLY why I haven't ordered the molds......

THANK YOU,ALAN..... you are always there for a helping hand !

icer101 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 24

my friend bought the first impression pearl molds.. she doesn,t like them.. they are really half pearl.. the ones from country kitchen are the best.. full pearl.. jennifer dontz even mentioned that in her demo at ices last year.. that the first impression was a half pearl mold... so check on both before you decide. i have all the ones from country kitchen... hth on sharons last dvd, she is using the one from country kitchen, the best i,remember..

crl Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 24

I was going to suggest getting in touch with Jennifer Dontz also. She has always been very responsive and willing to share her knowledge when I have PM'd questions.

mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 24

My First Impression molds do only make a half pearl, but I put that side against the cake and haven't had a problem. I have one from Country Kitchen and I haven't managed to make my pearls come out round yet. I'm sure they both take practice, but the FI just seems easier to me. Plus it is at least twice as long as my CK pearl mold, which means half as many moldings to get what I need. icon_cry.gif

My FI molds also have 3 different sizes in the same mold, which is nice if I am doing different size pearls on the different tiers.

iris711 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 24

I had the same problem. I didn't know what size to buy. I guess 8mm is the best size. Does anyone have the web site for the first impression?
Thanks

mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #17 of 24

http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/

I think that you can also get their molds from Global Sugar Art. I ordered mine directly from First Impressions and they make all their molds as they are ordered, but it still just takes a week or so to get them.

Cakeonista Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #18 of 24

I just recieved my firstimpressions pearl mold, they come 3 sizes in 1 mold and I purchased 8, 6, 4 mm. The largest size which is the 8 is no small by any means and is very nice for a 12" cake and I would use smaller size paerls on smaller tiers or you can use 8 on all tiers. It's a matter of prefrence and the cake will be beautiful whatever you decide but Im pretty sure these are the ost popular sizes when it comes to pearl borders.

Skirt Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #19 of 24

I bought the CK mold in the 6mm shape. You can see it here on CC on my valentine cake. It looks ok but I wouldn't want to use that size to border a bigger cake... But the mold does make a round pearl, not half. I found I needed some serious arm strength to mold it perfectly though (and I am in no way a small person...). Maybe my fondant needed to be softer, I don't know.
I ordered the 6,8,10 mold from FI, it should be here by next week. It has a flat side but if it's being used for the bottom border I don't see the problem. I think it's the one tonedna uses on her youtube video and her cakes are divine. icon_smile.gif

FYI, 6mm is about a 1/4 inch, 8mm about 0.3 inch and 10mm about 0.4 inch. And BTW, I'm just as lost as you guys when you talk about inches!

courtney1009 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:38pm
post #20 of 24

Wow! Thanks Alan and everyone else for your help! I really appreciate it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is so confused. They should really put what each size is most commonly used for and a picture next to each size mold so it would be easier to choose. Thank you again! You guys saved me!

AlanT Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #21 of 24

One more trick. If you roll your own pearls using black fondant and roll them in Super Pearl Dust, they look like Silver beads. Fun!
Alan

mbt4955 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #22 of 24

Great tip, Alan. Thanks! I have wondered what Pearl Dust would do on top of colored fondant. I may be trying to get my pearls a burnt orange color (since I can't find the right color ribbon) and had thought about combining Petal Dust with either Pearl or Luster. What would you recommend?

AlanT Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:24pm
post #23 of 24

I would experiment with different colors of fondant and use just Pearl dust. If you add in petal dust, you will lose the glossy appearance of a pearl. However, you could add luster dust to pearl dust for a darker finish. Good luck-let me know how they turn out. Alan

mbt4955 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks, Alan. Hopefully this wedding cake will turn out good enough for me to post a picture. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%