How To Handle...??

Lounge By Sunflower08 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm by veejaytx

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 17

How do you handle being woke up to neighbors "doing the laundry"???

I live in a townhouse that has another townhouse hooked right next door and this happened to me this morning.. Getting woke up at 3:30 in the morning to that kinda doesn't make for a nice day.
How do you handle this?!

16 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 17

Well, I've never had to share walls with anyone else except at a hotel, and the way I always look at it is........it could be worse, at least their not arguing.

I guess you could turn up the volume on your TV to drown out their mating sounds icon_lol.gif

Sunflower08 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 17

Come on guys what would you do?? I'm embarassed to even go over there and say something but I don't want another morning like that... Should I just pound on the wall or something.. LOL!?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 17

Many years ago (like 40 years), when my then DH was in law school, we lived in City Housing. We had neighbors move in who were very loud while "doing the laundry" and the wife would yell "don't stop" at the top of her lungs, and it took forever...if you know what I mean. Add to this going on, their year or so old baby was in the other bedroom screaming at the top of her lungs too, and I couldn't say I blamed her, the whole "event" was scary.

After this going on for some time, (several weeks) I would pound on the wall, but it didn't stop them. One night, it went on for so long I finally yelled at them at the top of MY lungs, and at the same time rocked my rocking chair (one of those with the really long rockers) so it hit the wall repeatedly. They did stop that night, and I never heard them again.

To this day I wonder where they went to do "laundry" so that I didn't hear them.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 17

If you think they would actually be embarrassed to know you could hear them, or would even care, I would try:

- Doing something loud (but not embarrassing) such as playing music, hammering, etc. when you think they might be in bed or at least where they could hear you.

- Then if that didn't seem to make a difference, I would either try to run into them outside, or if necessary go to their door and say, "I was just checking to see if my hammering/salsa music/chainsaw bothered you. I know how thin these walls are!

And if that didn't work, I would start knocking on the walls.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 17

Do you rent? If you do maybe the rental owner or agency could handle it.

Maybe it was a one time thing?? Celebrating Valentine's a little late or something.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 17

OK, OK, I am going to admit something majorly embarrassing here.

When we were renting, we had neighbors that did that too. One time, they had family over. We were watching TV in our room, and could hear them taking their family on "the tour" and they were talking in their room. So we started jumping up and down on the bed, making the bed knock up against the wall, yelling the...normal stereotypical things you hear in movies. I couldn't ever look them in the eye again, but it made the point.

But I was only 21, so I had an excuse for being a crazy nut.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 17

[quote="punkinpie"Maybe it was a one time thing?? Celebrating Valentine's a little late or something.[/quote]

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif For THEIR sake, I hope it wasn't a one time thing icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

All kidding aside.........knock on the wall, they'll hopefully get the hint.

Sunflower08 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 17

I think I'm gonna see if it happens again and then I'm pounding on the wall.. I'm to big of a chicken to say anything to them.... LOL!

summernoelle- that's hilarious!! LOL!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #10 of 17

I had this happen with two sets of neighbors.

The first time we were in an apartment and I adored the manager. I went in and asked her advice. She picked up the phone and called. "I have had four neighbors come in to complain about your excessive noise after 10pm. What ever is going on needs to stop."

The next morning at 2am... yup until 4am.

So at 6am my alarm clock radio went up full blast and I started to run the vacuum right at their wall. I mean I literally just stood there with it running.

I saw her running across from her door to mine banging on it telling me to shut the hell up she was sound asleep. She stopped at my window and banged on it saying she was going to report me.

By the time the manager got there 10 minutes later the vacuum was put back, the alarm clock set to 8am, and I was some how sound asleep when they knocked on my door. icon_lol.gif

The second time it was in the condo I owned and the joined wall was with renters (college boys to boot!). So my boyfriend at the time would go to the wall their headboard was on and when the spin cycle was in it's um... rythmn... he'd pound opposite of it to throw their spin cycle off. icon_lol.gif There were nights it would be more than one load of laundry and just a major... UGH!

One time the girlfriend asked why we would pound on the wall because it was rude. My reply back was "well I can hear everything you say and do at all hours and honestly I don't need to know what you call him in the heat of passion at all hours of the night." She turned bright red and said "you won't hear another thing again!" Thankfully we didn't because they switched to two rooms so their study room was now the shared wall with my bedroom and their bedroom was the shared wall with my office/craft room.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #11 of 17

Man I hate that!!!! That's why I do NOT like staying in hotels/motels! UGH!!!!!!!!!!! Don't even want to be near anything that would present any opportunity for me to hear people "doing their laundry"! BLECH!!!!!!
icon_redface.gificon_redface.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

My DH and I lived in an apt. before we had kids and the two chicks upstairs LOVED to party. We HATED Friday nights! I mean we LOATHED Friday nights. It always happened around the 10 pm hour until around 3 a.m., several different couples. We ended up standing on our bed and with a broom, pounded on the ceiling. They would quiet down for a bit and then the next couple would start going at it. Once again, the broom.

We ended up calling the girls "the whores"! They would even get into drunken fights with their guys out in the carport (outside our bedroom window). The straw that broke the camel's back was when we were awakened to the sound of a windshield breaking. We went outside and one of their boyfriends had busted the windshield to one of the girl's car. We called the cops and that was the last we heard of them. They were evicted within a week. The girls were apparently getting complaints from all around the apt. unit.

There is no reason you have to put up with hearing "that". Not that you think the act is disgusting, you just don't like having to hear it every time it occurs. Just talk to them and tell them that their extra-curricular activities, which occur at all hours of the night, keep you awake and that based on the 10 point scoring system, you give them a 3.5! icon_lol.gif Nah, that might encourage them to "practice" more often!

Just delicately talk to them and ask if things could be a bit quieter or ask them to get you a year's supply of aviator earplugs.

Amy

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 17

That's funny.
We lived next to a couple that was chronically violent with each other. The first time we met, she was throwing spaghetti and milk on his car.
Huge violent fights every night. One night, he didn't pick her up from a bar. She walked home (college town, so everything is close) she walked in, picked up a candle, threw it at him, hit him in the head. We heard a scream and crash, so we ran over, he was wrapped up in a white down blanket with blood everywhere. They refused to call an ambulance, so we literally draaaaaged him to the car to take him o the ER.
We were sitting there with them, and the sheriff came up and found her, to talk to her about domestic abuse! icon_lol.gif
He had a scar. The next time it happened, we just called 911. Of course, that just made them mad and turned their energy towards us.
I hate apartments.

Sunflower08 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 17

I'm friends with my landlord and I think when I see him I'm going to ask him so did you know you rented to adult film stars? icon_biggrin.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 17

When we were backpacking, those hostel walls are mighty thin (and sometimes they don't even go right to the ceiling) - you can hear everything. One night a couple were 'busy' and taking a long time about it. When they finally finished, there was a big round of applause from all the surrounding rooms. They checked out early the next morning.

Talking to the landlord is the way to go here, especially if you have a good relationship. He should be able to have a quiet word with the neighbours.

Sunflower08 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 17

Total off subject but TubbsCookies I love your signiture line..... Sprinkles is actually my nickname.. LOL! I'm 26 years old and I love sprinkles on my ice cream still!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:59pm
post #16 of 17

Aww, I don't actually like sprinkles that much!! It's inspired by a cake from the Cakewrecks site: http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/10/sorry-you-cant-have-any.html

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm
post #17 of 17

I love cakewrecks, I go there every day for a few chuckles!

Again, "many years ago" my then DH and I stayed in one of those lodges where the walls don't go all the way to the floor or to the ceiling, and IMHO, anybody who does "laundry" in one of those places has to be exhibitionists! I was afraid to even talk, it was so public! Those folks deserved the applause...and maybe learned a lesson.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%