Icing Help Please!

Decorating By jeepgirl9478 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 12:57am by prterrell

jeepgirl9478 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepgirl9478 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:57am
post #1 of 5

I have never used anything other than buttercream, but I am making a simple sheet cake and want a good tasting icing. Something really yummy like safeways icing, just not the wipped icing from walmart it tastes a little too plain. Our bakery back home has this very yummy sweet but light frosting. It dosn't smooth the greatist but the taste is so good you could care less. Something like this.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 5

Oh hon......taste is soooooooo hard to explain. I have no idea what Safeway's nor WalMart tastes like icon_sad.gif
Have you tried SugarShack's b'cream? Have your tried Rich's Bettercreme or Frostin Pride?
You mention the whipped icing from Walmart tastes too plain. You can always add more flavoring - extract etc. The amounts & kinds of flavoring in an icing recipe are just a guideline. They can be 'fussed' withicon_smile.gif Add more or less, change the flavor (leave out almond; add almond, use lemon etc) whatever your taste wantsicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 5

If someone told me my icing tasted like grocery store icing, I'd break down in tears. icon_cry.gif

It's a difficult question.... what's good to one is disgusting to another. kakeladi gave great advice .... play with the recipes and tweak it to make it your own.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 5

I think buttercream is the best tasting icing. My customers rave about it. I use a 4lb bag of confectioners sugar, 2 C shortening, 1/2 cup water and 2 tbsp. of vanilla.

BC colors easily and is a good texture for decorating.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 5

Maybe you'd like Italian Meringue Buttercream as opposed to shortening + powdered sugar "buttercream". Never had cake from Safeway. In all honesty, if the cake is from Wal-mart, I don't eat it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%