How Do I?

Decorating By Stellarcakes Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 10:22pm by Stellarcakes

Stellarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stellarcakes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 20

Ok so I have posted a couple times...and here I am again icon_smile.gif
I am making a cake for my sis-in-laws baby shower this weekend.
And we got our inspo from LovinSullivanCakes cakepower.com in the portfolio elegant wedding cakes. The Red Bird cake. And was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to make the birds in the nest. And any tips on making the nest. I figured I would make the birds out of fondant. If any one has any tips that would be awesome!! Thanks!!

19 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 20

I found this while browsing PinkCakeBox (amazing cakes), maybe a visual will help...
http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/page/28

also:

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:50am
post #3 of 20

Last month I competed in a throwdown against Dmich. On her cake she made two love birds. Here's the link to the throwdown so you can see how the birds came out. Send her a PM, I'm sure she'd be happy to help you.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-616108.html

For the nest, it does look time consuming. The first thing that came to mind was using a clay gun to make each piece of nest. You can cut out a circle to use for a base and they place each piece of nest from the clay gun to build the shape and size you need.

Good luck, I hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

dawnnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnnb Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 20

I have 2 suggestions. White chocolate covered chinese noodles. Check the nest pic in my photos. Someone has also recommended the really thin rice vermicelli sp? noodles. Both would work nicely. HTH good luck!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 20

I'm not sure if you're looking for a soft-looking nest (noodle-like) or a hard nest. I've seen some harder-looking nests that I guessed had chocolate covered pretzels in it. (The straight stick-type pretzel.)

Lisa

Stellarcakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks for the input!!! Dawnnb I was looking at your nest's they look great. How exactly would you do the nest with white chocolate covered chinese noodles?
Ive never made a nest before hehe it'll be fun!

I was also thinking just using fondant cut into strips but would it hold up?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 20

Melt your white candy melts; dump in some chinese noodles; stir until all are covered w/choco and spoon onto wax paper. Form into a nest w/spoon or fingers and allow to set - maybe 30-60 minutes.

dawnnb Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 20

kakeladi pretty much covered the how to thumbs_up.gif Fondant would probably work as well. I haven't tried it...the kids liked the chocolate covered noodles. This is a pic of the other noodles I was talking about, they are a little more delicate. I tried to post this yesterday and it wasn't working. Can't wait to see the finished cake!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=27200

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #9 of 20

Ooooohhhh, dawnb, I LOVE that cake!

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Ooooohhhh, dawnb, I LOVE that cake!

That cake is just beautiful!

dawnnb Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 20

icon_redface.gif Sorry for the confusion, that wasn't my cake. It was one I had saved in my favs but wouldn't post. It really is a beatiful cake and the designer needs all the credit! Again sorry for the confusion.

Stellarcakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #12 of 20

That cake is cool!! Yea that nest is cool. I am goin to make a nest with white chocolate covered chinese noodles. And then one with fondant and see which one I like better hehe. I can't wait to get comments and critics about the cake!!!

dawnnb Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:58am
post #13 of 20

Good luck I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Stellarcakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 20

ok here is a couple of cakes I have made the past two weeks please critic and comment positive or negative don't matter to me. I like constructive criticism!! The black and white was for my best friends 20th birthday and then the Pink one was for my SIL baby shower!!
LL
LL

Stellarcakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #15 of 20

Does no one have anything to say? :/

MsLadyCakes06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsLadyCakes06 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #16 of 20

i want to make a jungle theme baby shower cake i know i'll use fondant to make the animals like monkey, giraffe, elephant, lion, and zebra but how exactly do i make them...i like the article about putting together the "lil bear" i need something like that. sorry im learning how to use this website. didn't mean to cut in on the nest chat. help!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #17 of 20

They both look well done. Did you use a knife or spoon to dab at the icing on the pink cake?

Stellarcakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #18 of 20

Hey...I am still pretty new to making like 3d figures but I have been reading that gumpaste is better for that. I used fondant though so you might keep reading and see what you find.

Kakeladi: I used a knife...my SIL loved it but I still wasnt as please as I thought I would be lol...I was really pressed for time and stressin!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #19 of 20

stellarcakes - both of those cakes are lovely, the nest came out great and the birds are cute too, you made those birds?

Stellarcakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:22pm
post #20 of 20

Yes out of fondant...I wasn't completely happy with them they were my first try ever with 3d figures. Everybody loved them so that was good!!!

Next time I do any 3d figure I think I will try gum paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%