Ruby Red Fondant With Gold Metallic Scrolls?

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm by CakeMommy3

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 7

I can make red fondant, and I heard you add black to deepen it to a ruby color...does anyone know proportions? I will drive myself insane with experimentation if left to my own devices.

Over the fondant, I want to pipe gold metallic scrolls...I was thinking of tinting royal icing gold (anyone know how to do that if no stores around you sell gold color gel and it's too late to order any??) and then once it dried, painting it with either gold luster dust, or americolor gold metallic airbrush color (using a paintbrush). Does that sound ok?

Should the luster dust be dry or mixed with vodka?

If I want the red fondant to have an irredescent look, do I brush on the super pearl dry or mix with vodka first??

Can you all tell I'm in over my head a wee bit?? I can't say no to my mom....HELP!!

6 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:38am
post #2 of 7

Be careful - black can make your red more of a burgandy than ruby. I think I'd go with a straight red color.

I'd probably go with a red royal icing... that way when you're painting it, if you miss some - it will blend with the fondant, and not stand out. Another option would be to go with just a "golden" yellow... not necessarily metalic, just yellow. It'll blend fine with the gold metallic over it.

I'd recommend using the vodka/dust mix in order to achieve a bright metallic finish.

To obtain the irridescent look, you might consider dry brushing a little bit of gold instead of pearl. The pearl may just lighten the red, or give it a little bit of a greyer shade. I'd try a few different practice attempts on a piece of "extra" fondant.

Good luck!

j-pal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 7

Be careful - black can make your red more of a burgandy than ruby. I think I'd go with a straight red color.

I'd probably go with a red royal icing... that way when you're painting it, if you miss some - it will blend with the fondant, and not stand out. Another option would be to go with just a "golden" yellow... not necessarily metalic, just yellow. It'll blend fine with the gold metallic over it.

I'd recommend using the vodka/dust mix in order to achieve a bright metallic finish.

To obtain the irridescent look, you might consider dry brushing a little bit of gold instead of pearl. The pearl may just lighten the red, or give it a little bit of a greyer shade. I'd try a few different practice attempts on a piece of "extra" fondant.

Good luck!

j-pal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:41am
post #4 of 7

Good luck!

j-pal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 7

Good luck!

j-pal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:44am
post #6 of 7

Good luck!

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks j-pal! I really like the idea of just using red royal icing and gold over it. I was anxious about missing a spot. I will definitely try a practice run of that, and brushing the gold instead of the pearl. Wow, I feel better already icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%