Wooden Dowel Vs Plastic

Decorating By dreamdelights Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm by j-pal

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 18

I am doing my first stack cake this weekend. Which is better wooden dowel or plastic dowel?

17 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 18

i never use wood... bc it can splinter, i always always always use plastic...

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 18

I agree with pinklesley1 and for the same reason. I always use plastic.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 18

What do you all use to cut the plastic? I used cookie sticks this weekend for a small round cake that I stacked. My cake may not have needed any dowel support, but I didn't want to take a chance. I was also worried about wood splintering.

Thanks,
Mara

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #5 of 18

i bought a pipe cutter at home depot, but before that i just used a real sharp knife...
and make sure you cut straight... that was my only problem... which is why got the pipe cutter...

i sometimes use the popsickle sticks too, the paper ones...

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #6 of 18

marag - A ceraded knife and some man power I would guess.

dreamdelights - The SPS system is highly recomended for stacked cakes. Leahs has instructions posted on CC somewhere with photos. Very easy to follow icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 18

how much is sps system, i may have to invest in it...

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #8 of 18

Do plastic straws work?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #9 of 18

AYou can buy SPS at Oasis Supply .com. It's really quite inexpensive. It's considered disposable, and you just build it into the cost of your cake.

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #10 of 18

i have never used straws... but some people swear by the bubble tea straws...

thanks leah

pastrychef22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef22 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #11 of 18

I have always used wood and never really though about the splintering until i read this. So what kind of plastic rods do you use and where do you get them?

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #12 of 18

i buy them at my supply place... wilton makes them.. they make two sizes... in two different lengths...

they are called "Hidden Pillars" I think...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #13 of 18

Wilton makes plastic dowels (I use those most often and cut them with a serrated knife) and hidden pillars (shorter, larger bore, heavier plastic--and I cut those with a pipe cutter). The hidden pillars are sized to accept the little legs of the Wilton plastic cake plates.

I do use wooden dowels for very small cakes and as full cake supports. I wipe them down with vanilla and then coat them with some crisco. If you buy good, hardwood dowels they won't splinter. They've been the standard for cake stacking for years.

Rae

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:23am
post #14 of 18

I definitely prefer the plastic Wilton hidden pillars. When the legs of the plates fit down into the pillars, it makes for a VERY stable tiered cake. I don't have to worry about putting a dowel down through the middle. I've done hundreds of tiered cakes and have never had one slide, fall, lean or collapse in any way. I've known of wood supports to actually cause the plates above them to crack due to the weight of the cakes on the plates and the wood dowels not being cut perfectly level. (They tend to pinch sometimes, depending on how you cut them)

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:54am
post #15 of 18

I use wooden dowels. I really like the plastic but can't always get them locally so wood it is for me. I slip the wood dowel into an oversized drinking straw to protect the cake from it.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

I definitely prefer the plastic Wilton hidden pillars. When the legs of the plates fit down into the pillars, it makes for a VERY stable tiered cake. I don't have to worry about putting a dowel down through the middle. I've done hundreds of tiered cakes and have never had one slide, fall, lean or collapse in any way. I've known of wood supports to actually cause the plates above them to crack due to the weight of the cakes on the plates and the wood dowels not being cut perfectly level. (They tend to pinch sometimes, depending on how you cut them)

Do you use the smooth edge plates or the wavy ones?

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #17 of 18

I use pvc pipe from Home Depot, the kind made for piping water lines,etc. I buy it in 8 foot lengths and cut it down with pipe cutters to fit into my sink of bleach water to sanatize them. I buy the 6 foot length for under $5... way cheap to use! I think it is 1/2" pipe that I use. I buy the thicker kind for making bows, etc... works great!

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

Do you use the smooth edge plates or the wavy ones?

I'll use either type. Since I put the cake on a plate that's 1 size smaller than the cake, I don't have to worry about the edges being seen. For instance, an 8" cake would set on a 7" plate, 10" on a 9", etc. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%