Tip #4 And Little Dot Tails !!!!!

Decorating By lolobell Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 3:52am by lolobell

lolobell Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 5

Okay, so whats the trick to not getting those little "tails" at the end of dots/pearls? I was using tip 4 to make little ball along the edge of a cake and those darn little tails that stick up drive me mad. Once the icing crusts some, I pat them down but then they look like patted down dots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any advice from the pros?!!!

4 replies
karateka Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 5

Ok, I'll try to explain how I do it....but I'm not very good at explaining things simply.

I squeeze to make the dot, then instead of just pulling away, I keep the tip in the icing and do a little swirl with the tip, pulling it off the dot sideways instead of straight up. It seems to work fairly well.

Did that make any sense?

sugarwishes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 5

I go over all of my dots with a paint brushed dipped in water (NOT a lot of water, you dont wanna soak the dots..just enough so the bristles are together)

LittleLinda Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 5

I know you're supposed to keep the tip burried in the dot and release pressure before pulling away. I think karateka does it right. I end up doing what you do ... push them down after crusting!

lolobell Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 5

Makes sense!! I will try it all! It drives me nuts. I try and try and try and try and AHHHHHHHHHHH. But, like you all have taught me, practice, practice!

Thank you so much!!
No matter what question I ask, someone has the answer! It's such a comfort having you all to go to for help. I have LEARNED SOO much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%