My Oven Decided To Catch Fire...

Decorating By twistedsplinters Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 5:29pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 20

Well were just cooking dinner spagetti and garlic bread when a loud sound like " someone being electrocuted" and a BOOM. I ran in to check on hubby he was cooking and the top burners were on fire and the bottom element as well. Im am so glad no one was hurt Im thankful he wasnt right next to it he was at the other end of the kitchen by the table. It did blow a hole clear through my fryin pans. We have had to replace the oven element before. So I guess its time to buy a new one. It has had it.

19 replies
sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 20

omg thank goodness no one was hurt. that had to be scary.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 20

Wow...that's scary, glad nobody got hurt!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 20

OMG Thank god he is okay as well as everyone else! That has always been one of my biggest fears, you just never know. Good luck getting a new oven!

twistedsplinters Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 20

I know its crazy you cannot plan on something like that to happen. All you can really have is smoke detectors after its happened.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 20

Fire is my (pardon the pun) big hot button. My parents had 2 housefires by the time I was 14 (neither were their fault .... landlord issues). Glad to hear all you had to replace was a stove.

twistedsplinters Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:23am
post #7 of 20

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 20

Good Lord! Thank goodness everyone is fine.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 20

WOW! I've had elements burn out before, but never like THAT, and never a fire ! Thank goodness everyone is okay !

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 20

I'm glad all of you are OK. Sorry this happened.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 20

wow thats scary!!!! glad you are all ok and no one was hurt, xcept for the frying pan ofcourse

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 20

Glad everyone is OK. I didn't even know that could happen like that. You must have been scared silly. Thanks for telling us.

twistedsplinters Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 20

here is one of the frying pans that we had sitting in the sink underwater to cool off before we put it anywhere , where it couldnt caused another fire.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 20

No wonder it made such a noise, to blow a hole in a pan like that. I wonder how often things like this realy happen. Scary.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 20

Wow! Sorry to hear about it. On the flip side - you get a new oven! My husband set ours on fire last year and not only did I get a new oven, but I got a new kitchen as well (we had been thinking about it anyway)! I am glad no one got hurt, but it can be scary as heck!

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:00pm
post #16 of 20

OMG!!! That is terrible! So thankful that no one was injured...

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:36pm
post #17 of 20

What a freaky thing to have happen...thank goodness no one was hurt.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:52pm
post #18 of 20

I'm glad you are ok!

How old was your unit? You may consider reporting this to the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission). They may want to issue a safety recall.

Here's the link to report it.
http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

Here's the link to see if your unit is on the recall list.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cgi-bin/prod.aspx

The manufacturer may also offer you something, so you may want to call them as well.

twistedsplinters Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #19 of 20

I guess you can call it old its about 11yrs. But I'm still gonna check out the links Thanks Barbaranne

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:29pm
post #20 of 20

Oh, 11, that's not too old. I would definitely report it to CPSC. Also, don't throw anything out just yet, including the damaged pans. You may be able to get the manufacturer to to reimburse you for some of the damages. Your homeowner's insurance might be able to help you there. We had damages from a faulty dehumidifier. Our homeowner's insurance paid us, then they went to the manufacturer, and got everything reimbursed. That was good because it didn't make our rates increase. At the least, they may be able to help document things for you.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%