Converting Measurements

Baking By iwantcookies Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm by dandelion56602

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 5

hello to all!
Just wondering if anyone can help me with measurements etc.
I am in Australia, so our cup and tablespoon etc measurements are a bit different to the US/UK/Canada ones. Just a few q's!

1. Do you think the recipes for RI, NFSC etc would still work if i used australian measurements?
2. Can anyone please give me the gram or ounce measurements your measuring cups equate to? (ie. 1 cup is how many grams/ounces/mls
3. How do you measure butter?? Most of the recipes i see have butter in cup measurements. Do u put your butter in a measuring cup to measure? (sorry if this is a dumb question!) In Australia, we measure butter by weight. (we don't have "sticks" of butter!) How many ounces/grams does 1 cup of butter equal?

Sorry for all the questions! Would really appreciate any help! I have been looking through the cookie photos in the gallery and oh my GOODNESS! The are all so awesome! Would luv to be able to make anything that looks half as good!

thanks heaps! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 5

here are some good websites that will give you weights in grams & some in ounces I believe. Type in a broad term like sugar for the pantsblazing site

http://www.pantsblazing.com/convert/vol_weight.php

http://www.fareshare.net/conversions-volume-to-weight.html

Hope this helps

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:35am
post #3 of 5

Hi!

i'm using this conversion chart at the moment - its by a cc member

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25279

i searched for ages for an online conversion thing, but i wasnt sure which one to trust because one site would tell me 1 cup flour = xx grams and another site would tell me something slightly different.

so i just use that one that i posted above since a real person actually took the time to measure everything out (thank u btw).

with the antonia74 RI, it has worked for me when using aussie tablespoons. i think aussie and US tablespoons and teaspoons are probably the same or at least similar in size, so i don't think you need to worry too much about the conversion equivalents.

with the nfsc recipe, since it uses CUPS of butter/flour/etc, i think you should use the conversion chart in case aus cups don't work out. i haven't made them completely successfully before so i know how sucky it feels to have trays and trays of cookies that look terrible. maybe halve the recipe just in case it doesn't work, cos even half the recipe makes ALOT of cookies.

also, i think i read somewhere that 2 US sticks of butter = 1 US cup?? somebody correct me if i'm wrong. if you see a recipe ask for "sticks" of butter, don't make the mistake of using those 250g "sticks" of butter you find in woolworths/coles.

ummm.... i think thats all... i'm still a cookie noob, but this is all the stuff i have learnt off cc so far. hope this helps you get started. sorry for the long post, but i just wanted to be thorough! happy baking! icon_smile.gif

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 5

thank you guys so much for all ure help! you guys rock!!!
I will definitely check out those conversion sites, hopefully i can make some cookies that are half decent! hehe.
dandelion56602 and tujy your cookies are soooo cute!!!! Can't wait to get started making mine!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your compliments. I'll be glad to help you if I can

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%