A Few Questions

Decorating By jeepgirl9478 Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 11:00pm by Ariginal

jeepgirl9478 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepgirl9478 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 15

first off I hear everyone talking about fillings in the cake. What is this? I usually put BC between my layers of cake, is that what you do with fillings?

Also I need a new icing recipe. I have only used BC before, but i am making a simple sheet cake and was hoping for something better. Maybe something less sweet and more wiped or anything thats real good just not BC. I am making WASC cake cuz I have alot of left over sour cream. So I need a good icing and filling for a kids cake that goes good with WASC cake.

14 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 15

Fillings can be just about anything! Pudding, ganache, buttercream, flavored buttercream, jams, mousse, whipped cream - pretty much anything you can dream up! I personally like chocolate fillings with WASC, but my family thinks that is weird, so I don't do that very often. I think strawberry filling is pretty tasty with WASC too - There is a recipe in the recipe section for raspberry mousse filling that uses pureed raspberries. I use this and substitute pretty much any other pureed fruit, such as the strawberries. Hope that helps! Oh yeah, and with the mousse filling I usually pipe a bit of firm buttercream around the edge so that the mousse doesn't seep out the side.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 15

i love raspberry puree or mango...

and you can get them already made in the jelly section, or make some with just pureed fruit and jelly

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

i love raspberry puree or mango...

and you can get them already made in the jelly section, or make some with just pureed fruit and jelly

Didn't realize this...Thanks,
Robin

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 15

I love using chocolate pudding as a filling. I also pipe a dam of buttercream around the edge to prevent the pudding from seeping out the sides. Everyone that I have served it to loves the taste of it.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

Fillings can be just about anything! Pudding, ganache, buttercream, flavored buttercream, jams, mousse, whipped cream - pretty much anything you can dream up! I personally like chocolate fillings with WASC, but my family thinks that is weird, so I don't do that very often. I think strawberry filling is pretty tasty with WASC too - There is a recipe in the recipe section for raspberry mousse filling that uses pureed raspberries. I use this and substitute pretty much any other pureed fruit, such as the strawberries. Hope that helps! Oh yeah, and with the mousse filling I usually pipe a bit of firm buttercream around the edge so that the mousse doesn't seep out the side.

Hi can i ask you what exactly is firm buttercream? what is the difference between bc and then the firm ? do we add something different to make it firmer? Or is it when it is refrigerated that makes it firm?

sorry a few questions but i am trying to change things i do as i dont think any of my fillings are firm enough they are yummy and all customers like them but i am wanting something that stays firm and hopefully even in the heat or really warm days.

thanks heaps

jeepgirl9478 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepgirl9478 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 15

thanks! I kept thinking there must be a way they keep the stuff from coming out the sides.. never thought of piping BC around the edge

now does anyone know a great icing recipe thats not to sweet but super yummy??

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariginal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

Hi can i ask you what exactly is firm buttercream? what is the difference between bc and then the firm ? do we add something different to make it firmer? Or is it when it is refrigerated that makes it firm?

sorry a few questions but i am trying to change things i do as i dont think any of my fillings are firm enough they are yummy and all customers like them but i am wanting something that stays firm and hopefully even in the heat or really warm days.

thanks heaps

I just pop the buttercream in the fridge for a bit so it's not so soft. Then you can fill in the rest of the cake with the filling and it comes out even and when you put the top layer on the buttercream doesn't smoosh down as easy. I'm no pro, so if there is anyone out there that does it differently and can offer better advice, please do..but this has worked for me! icon_smile.gif

Ariginal Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 15

thanks krissiecakes i have never done that before or even thought about putting in a buttercream edge to then put in a different sort of filling hmmm i have some real playing to do.. but i am sure my hubby and kids wont complain.. thanks a mill

Ariginal Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 15

thanks krissiecakes i have never done that before or even thought about putting in a buttercream edge to then put in a different sort of filling hmmm i have some real playing to do.. but i am sure my hubby and kids wont complain.. thanks a mill

Ariginal Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 15

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 15

You can add a little powdered sugar to your buttercream to stiffen it up a little then put it in a pastry bag with only a coupler and pipe a dam of icing. Keep your fillings below the height of the dam. HTH

newnancy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 15

You can add a little powdered sugar to your buttercream to stiffen it up a little then put it in a pastry bag with only a coupler and pipe a dam of icing. Keep your fillings below the height of the dam. HTH

newnancy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 15

Ariginal Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 15

wow you all have great tips thanks.

Ohh and jeepgirl9478 i use my normal buttercream but add melted white chocolate along with any essence of flavour i want. sometimes i also stillusing my basic buttercream add in juice of lemon and len=mon rind its quite nice and the other day tried for the first time again the white choc buttercream with some baileys in hmmm yuummmmooooo heheh just to name a few..

but if you punch in fillings on google if brings you up some different sites to check out for fillings been researching this morning after your question and with the help of the other ladies with their tips hehe. You could also try http://www.shavkin.com/home.html diane has a wonderful site with lots of helpful hints etc but at the top of the home page is the recipe section have a look in there you may find something otherwise you also check through the recipes here on CC look under fillings some sound soooo nice hehe i gonna try them out too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%