Chocolate For Molding Body

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 4:30am by maimai16

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 14

Help anyone. question: How do you use chocolate to acutally mold by hand and shape, animals, or babies? I heard somewhere that you add corn sryup??

ANY IDEAS? I would like to do the baby bottom cake, but I hate fondant, never attempted gumpaste, think I would fail at it....and I would love to learn the chocolate tech.

THANKS!!!

13 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 14

[ur]lhttp://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1985-Candy-Clay-for-Modeling--3D-Figures.html[/url]

This is the recipe I use. Love it, so easy to work with. I was scared of gumpaste too, but realized it's not that bad! I actually have had good luck with it.

Hope that helps.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

[ur]lhttp://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1985-Candy-Clay-for-Modeling--3D-Figures.html[/url]

This is the recipe I use. Love it, so easy to work with. I was scared of gumpaste too, but realized it's not that bad! I actually have had good luck with it.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much...this helps me a lo! thumbs_up.gif

Robin

2txmedics Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 14

Thanks so much!!! I cant wait to try it....Is it delicate when it finally hardens? Do you think if I made a hood for a carriage it would break? would it hold b/c icing for example if I put ruffles on it?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! *dancing*

lchristi27 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:02am
post #5 of 14

I'm not sure if it will hold a carriage top, give it a try. I would like to know as well.

I was freaked about gumpaste because of the trouble I had with fondant (home made and store bought) but realized it is so easy to work with, it takes to coloring really well and kneads up super easy. I absolutely love it now for doing figures. Also found some in-expensive molds in the clay aisle at Michaels!

This was the first fondant figure I did, and if I can do it anyone can-trust me!
LL

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

I'm not sure if it will hold a carriage top, give it a try. I would like to know as well.

I was freaked about gumpaste because of the trouble I had with fondant (home made and store bought) but realized it is so easy to work with, it takes to coloring really well and kneads up super easy. I absolutely love it now for doing figures. Also found some in-expensive molds in the clay aisle at Michaels!

This was the first fondant figure I did, and if I can do it anyone can-trust me!

Clay aisle at Micheals...GREAT!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 14

Did my first work with modeling chocolate recently and really enjoyed working with it. My basket and rose never got rock hard like gumpaste, always had a little "give" to it so it may not work for your baby carriage. The heat from your hands is going to soften the chocolate when you are working with it so sometimes you just have to put it down for a few minutes and let it "rest".

lchristi27 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 14

Have you ever rolled out modeling chocolate for cut-outs? I have an over-the-hill cake I need to do and they want tombstones around it, was going to try to use modeling chocolate for those instead of fondant.

2txmedics Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 14

The hood is not going to hold anything. What Im doing is...making the semi round carriage, I thought over the top part, it would different to add a little hood over where the baby sleeps, and maybe with icing attach some real lace, pink...and add ribbon to the side.

Not a large piece of ribbon but to give it the more soft side and personalize it more so. It was just an idea, not sure yet how I want to do it, but am thinking its for march.
Thanks!!! appreciate all the input.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 14

Ichristi27,

I rolled out enough to cut out leaves for my rose. I rolled it between two sheets of freezer paper (slick side against chocolate) and it worked fine. I don't know about bigger sheets but I've seen them do it on some of the decorating shows.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 14

Yeah this should definitly do what you want it for. I have rolled it a time or two..

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:26am
post #12 of 14

this is what i use for all the toppers i made. though i cover it with fondant to achieve the color and details that i need =)

maimai16 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:29am
post #13 of 14

lchristi27, that is the same recipe i use for all the toppers i made, which are all posted in my photos. though i cover it with fondant to achieve the color and details that i need =) it is really great to have cakecentral around =)

maimai16 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #14 of 14

lchristi27, that is the same recipe i use for all the toppers i made, which are all posted in my photos. though i cover it with fondant to achieve the color and details that i need =) it is really great to have cakecentral around =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%